Need help deciding on one of my classes for my last semester

In summary, the person is considering their options for their last math elective and is leaning towards General Physics III and Combinatorics due to their interests and goals. They have also mentioned concerns about taking the senior seminar with a certain professor and their lack of plans for graduate school. The conversation also includes discussions about the usefulness of different math courses and the person's interest in becoming an actuary.
Eclair_de_XII
These are the classes I have decided so far for the next semester. Every prerequisite listed is a class I have already taken:

Statistical Inference Sampling and parameter estimation, tests of hypotheses, correlation, regression, analysis of variance, sequential analysis, rank order statistics. Pre: Advanced Probability or consent.

General Physics II Lab Lab with electricity and magnetism and geometric optics. Pre: General Physics I and Lab, and Calculus II.

Senior Seminar Seminar for senior mathematics majors, including an introduction to methods of research. Significant portion of class time is dedicated to the instruction and critique of oral presentations. All students must give the equivalent of three presentations.

Right now, I am deciding which one of these four classes will be my last math elective:

General Physics III Relativity, introduction to quantum mechanics, atomic and nuclear physics, and physical optics. Pre: General Physics II and Calculus III.

Combinatorial Mathematics Finite configurations. Topics may include counting methods, generating functions, graph theory, map coloring, block design, network flows, analysis of discrete algorithms. Pre: Elementary Linear Algebra or consent.

Introduction to Abstract Algebra Introduction to basic algebraic structures. Groups, finite groups, abelian groups, rings, integral domains, fields, factorization, polynomial rings, field extensions, quotient fields. Emphasis on writing instruction. Pre: Linear Algebra and Proof-writing; or consent.

Introduction to the Theory of Numbers Congruences, quadratic residues, arithmetic functions, distribution of primes. Emphasis is on teaching theory and writing, not on computation. Pre: Proof-writing.

I'm kind of leaning towards General Physics III and Combinatorics, mostly because they don't seem to involve proof-writing. The other two classes are on there mostly because they fit nicely enough within my school schedule to allow me to work the maximum hours at my job. Anyway, in my General Physics II class I took last year, I kind of got lost trying to learn about light, reflection, refraction and the like, so I think I would have kind of a rough start at the beginning the General Physics III course. As for the senior seminar, I'm a bit hesitant on taking it with a certain professor, since he's teaching one of the classes I am taking right now. I'm not getting so good a grade in his class. On my last midterm, I am very sure that I got between a seventy and an eighty-percent, possibly even lower; and my homework scores average to a B-. So I'm a bit afraid of how he will judge my performance in the seminar.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which class you should take depends a lot on your interests/goals (that you have not told us). That said, I'm assuming you're a math major since you're planning to take the senior seminar for majors. If so, I'm surprised that abstract algebra is not required for the major and I think that a math major is incomplete without it.

Infrared said:
That said, I'm assuming you're a math major ... and I think that a math major is incomplete without it [abstract algebra].
And in case it is not math but another STEM area, then the statistic course will be of great use (and usually and unfortunately widely disregarded. After it, you will never ever be able to listen to a politician (or someone else) reasoning with statistical numbers again!).

Take that 2nd semester physics lab. I can't imagine you'll be of much use with only one semester of college physics labs.

Infrared said:
Which class you should take depends a lot on your interests/goals (that you have not told us).

The only interest I have that can be applicable to a job in the workforce is Microsoft Excel.

As for my goals, I don't have any, besides to find work. It was the case until a few months ago, that I wanted to become an actuary, which is why I wanted to take the statistical inference class. But as I see it, I am unable to form any efficient study habits to better my performance in class, so I am confident that I wouldn't be able to study well enough to take the actuary exams. That being said, I haven't ruled it out completely as an option. I do intend to try to study for one exam and see if I am truly capable, after I graduate. Otherwise, I don't have any plans other than to find work with my math degree. I am not looking towards graduate school at the moment. People always ask me if I am planning on it, and it always makes me think if I am wasting my "intelligence" by not following that route. But the fact is, that I'm kind of sick of school right now, and would not like to attend two more years of it for some master's or PhD in a subject that I haven't even decided on yet.

And just for everyone's information, the first three classes are classes that I already have decided on. I need a fourth to add, from the last four classes listed.

Last edited:
That's a bit sad to hear and Excel isn't really a qualification. So if you ask which of the last four is most likely useful in a job, then it will be combinatorics. Outside university you probably never will need number theory, abstract algebra, relativity or quantum mechanics other than to prove that you have the ability of abstraction. But for most common people, anything with mathematics in the title is already abstract enough.

My vote is for Physics lll. Relativity is extremely interesting and fun to learn.

Combinatorics, it is, then. Thanks, fresh, and everyone else who posted in the topic.

1. Which class should I take for my last semester?

Choosing the right class for your last semester can be a tough decision. Consider your interests, career goals, and any requirements you still need to fulfill. It may also be helpful to speak with your academic advisor for guidance.

2. How do I know which class will benefit me the most?

Think about what you want to gain from your last semester. Do you want to expand your skills in a specific subject or take a class that will enhance your resume? Research the class descriptions and speak with professors or students who have taken the class to get a better understanding of its benefits.

3. What if I am torn between two classes?

If you are having trouble deciding between two classes, make a list of the pros and cons of each. Consider the workload, class format, and how it aligns with your goals. You could also try taking a sample class or speaking with the professors to get a better sense of the courses.

4. Are there any classes I should avoid taking for my last semester?

It is generally recommended to avoid taking difficult or time-consuming classes in your last semester. This can be a busy and stressful time as you prepare for graduation and transition into the workforce. Consider taking classes that are more manageable and align with your interests and goals.

5. What if I need to fulfill a certain requirement, but none of the available classes interest me?

If you have a requirement to fulfill, but none of the available classes seem appealing, consider speaking with your academic advisor to see if there are any alternative options. You could also reach out to professors or students to get a better understanding of the class and see if it may be a good fit for you.