Need help developing a movement function for motor motion

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a function to control the rotation of a motor to a specific angle in a controlled manner. The function should update the final position during movement and start with the same speed as the initial function. Suggestions include using a sigmoid function or a clamped cubic spline, but the best solution depends on the goal of the motor's movement (e.g. fastest possible way with limits on acceleration, lowest peak acceleration). When updating the target, only the current position, velocity, and possibly acceleration are relevant.
assafMOCAP
Hi,
I have a motor that i would like to rotate to a certain angle, in a controlled manner.
During the movement, i want to update the final position I want to reach.
The new updated function has to start with the same speed the initial function ended with
I wan to find a function that does this.

In green, the initial function.
In blue at t=t1, I update the endpoint.
I would also like to control the pivot points of the function (in red)
How do I do that ?
Thank you !

Attachments

• pid function.jpg
    pid function.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 166
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You could try playing around with the sigmoid function:

1590219349852.png

Likes assafMOCAP
For a mathematical solution you could look at spline function. Specifically (because presumably you cannot achieve an instantaneous change in velocity) I would suggest a clamped cubic spline.

However I'm not sure how you would use this function in practice to control a motor; this would normally be done by a more simple calculation using the SUVAT equations to answer the question "do I need to speed up or slow down", because that is all you can control.

What is the goal? Reach the position in the fastest possible way with limits on acceleration and speed? Reach it with the lowest peak acceleration? Something else? The best acceleration/velocity profile will depend on that.

When you update your target you can forget what happened before. Only the current position, velocity and maybe acceleration matter. Maybe other current parameters as well, but not their history. The ideal profile will depend on what you consider "ideal".

1. How do I develop a movement function for motor motion?

Developing a movement function for motor motion involves understanding the anatomy and physiology of the motor system, as well as the principles of biomechanics. It also requires knowledge of programming and data analysis techniques. It is best to consult with experts in these areas for guidance.

2. What factors should I consider when developing a movement function for motor motion?

There are several factors to consider when developing a movement function for motor motion, including the specific motor task or action, the capabilities and limitations of the motor system, and any external factors that may affect movement, such as gravity or resistance.

3. How can I test the effectiveness of a movement function for motor motion?

To test the effectiveness of a movement function for motor motion, you can use motion capture technology to track and analyze the movement patterns. You can also conduct experiments with human subjects to evaluate the accuracy and efficiency of the movement function.

4. Are there any existing models or theories that can help with developing a movement function for motor motion?

Yes, there are various models and theories, such as the motor program theory and the equilibrium point hypothesis, that can provide a framework for understanding and developing movement functions for motor motion. These can serve as a starting point for your research and development.

5. How can I apply a movement function for motor motion in real-world scenarios?

Once you have developed a movement function for motor motion, you can apply it in various real-world scenarios, such as rehabilitation programs for individuals with motor impairments, sports training programs, or the development of assistive technologies. It is important to validate the effectiveness and safety of the function before implementing it in real-world settings.