1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help disproving this

1. Mar 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Thanks for the help on the last problem. Here is the final problem set I'm stuck on:

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

To me it seems that there will always be a positive c so that cg(n) is greater or equal to f(n). No matter how large n is, since there's no limit to how large c can be (can even be a decimal), wouldn't that always be possible?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

First off, g is not a polynomial, as it is not the sum of multiples of integral powers of n. It might be helpful for you to graph the two functions, because you would see that for n larger than about 20, the linear function dominates the other function. Although f(n) = 2n + 3 is a linear function and grows at only a constant rate, that rate is larger than that of the other function, for large enough n.
  4. Mar 13, 2010 #3
    Oooh I see. Since c is fixed and chosen before the n, then there will always be an n that contradicts the statement right?

I'm guessing the same thing applies to this other problem right?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  5. Mar 13, 2010 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, essentially. For the first problem, there's no fixed value of c that works because you can always make n large enough so that the inequality doesn't hold. In other words, no such c exists.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook