Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need help disproving this

1. Mar 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Thanks for the help on the last problem. Here is the final problem set I'm stuck on:

SYPzV.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

To me it seems that there will always be a positive c so that cg(n) is greater or equal to f(n). No matter how large n is, since there's no limit to how large c can be (can even be a decimal), wouldn't that always be possible?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

First off, g is not a polynomial, as it is not the sum of multiples of integral powers of n. It might be helpful for you to graph the two functions, because you would see that for n larger than about 20, the linear function dominates the other function. Although f(n) = 2n + 3 is a linear function and grows at only a constant rate, that rate is larger than that of the other function, for large enough n.

4. Mar 13, 2010 #3
    Oooh I see. Since c is fixed and chosen before the n, then there will always be an n that contradicts the statement right?

I'm guessing the same thing applies to this other problem right?

8cBSM.jpg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  5. Mar 13, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, essentially. For the first problem, there's no fixed value of c that works because you can always make n large enough so that the inequality doesn't hold. In other words, no such c exists.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook