1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help Entropy

1. Nov 30, 2007 #1
    Need help....Entropy

The interatomic spring stiffness for magnesium is determined from Young's modulus measurements to be 12 N/m. The mass of one mole of magnesium is 0.012 kg. If we model a block of magnesium as a collection of atomic "oscillators" (masses on springs), what is one quantum of energy for one of these atomic oscillators? Note that since each oscillator is attached to two "springs", and each "spring" is half the length of the interatomic bond, the effective interatomic spring stiffness for one of these oscillators is 4 times the calculated value given above.

Use these precise values for the constants:
    h= 1.0546*10^-34 J · s (Planck's constant divided by 2)
    Avogadro's number = 6.02211023 molecules/mole
    k = 1.3807*10^-23 J/K (the Boltzmann constant)

one quantum =

i thought you would use

hw = h*sqrt(ks/m) = (1.05E-34)*sqrt((4*12 N/M)/(0.012 kg) = 6.64e-33

but its not...could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2008 #2
    Is that the wrong equation to use for this problem? I also tried that equation and got an incorrect answer for a similar problem with different values.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?