Efficient Sum Evaluation: Tips for Solving 100 P i Permutations

• Thread starter JasonJo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the conversation is discussing the sum of the permutation of i objects selected from 100, represented as 100 P i or 100!/(100-i)!. The participants are trying to determine the explicit way to calculate the sum for any given n value.
JasonJo
i need help evaluating this sum:

(that is 100 P i, or the permutation)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What does "100 P i" mean with i going from 1 to 100? Is P a constant?

I can't see your attatchment. Does 100 P i mean the number of permuations of i objects selected from 100? namely, 100 P i= 100!/(100-i)!

What's being summed?

shmoe said:
I can't see your attatchment. Does 100 P i mean the number of permuations of i objects selected from 100? namely, 100 P i= 100!/(100-i)!

What's being summed?

yeah I'm sorry if it came out bad, but yeah it's the permutation

So what's being summed then?

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess you mean

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^n{}_{100}P_i[/tex]

Am I close?

yeap, that's exactly it. is there any explicit way to calculate the sum for arbitrary n?

What is the purpose of evaluating a sum?

The purpose of evaluating a sum is to find the total value of a set of numbers or terms. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific calculations.

How do I evaluate a sum?

To evaluate a sum, you need to add up all the numbers or terms in the given set. This can be done by using basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

What are the common methods used for evaluating sums?

The two most common methods for evaluating sums are the arithmetic method, where you add up the numbers or terms, and the geometric method, where you multiply the numbers or terms. Other methods include the use of algebraic equations and special formulas for specific types of sums.

What are the potential challenges of evaluating a sum?

One potential challenge of evaluating a sum is the possibility of making arithmetic errors, which can lead to incorrect results. Another challenge is dealing with large sets of numbers or complex terms, which can be time-consuming and require a lot of computational power.

How can I improve my skills in evaluating sums?

To improve your skills in evaluating sums, you can practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different methods and techniques used for sum evaluation. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a math or science teacher or use online resources for additional practice and tips.