Need help explaining these things - related to vision

• Thread starter adeel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vision
In summary, the conversation discusses three different experiments and their results. In experiment 1, the participants were asked to rotate their dominant leg and hand in different directions and write the number 8 on a piece of paper. The results showed that it was easier to do with the second scenario, which could be explained by the fact that two parts of the body are controlled by opposite sides. In experiment 2, the participants were asked to predict their eye dominance based on their handedness by holding a pencil up to a corner of the room. The results were inconclusive. In experiment 3, the participants were asked to stare at a red dot for 20 seconds and then turn the paper over to see a bluish circle. This could be
adeel
Experiment 1:

Rotate your dominant leg clockwise and use your dominant hand to write the number 8 on a piece of paper. Do the same thing except rotate the other leg. What are the results and why?

I kknow that its easier to do the second scenario but how can I explain it? All I can think of is that two parts are controlled by opposite sides of the body...help? Why is it easier?

Experiment 2:

can u predict right or left eye dominance based on handedness? The experiments makes u hold a pencil up to a corner of the room, then u close each eye, and when you close your eye, once u open it, the one in which the pencil moves more is dominant.

My results were inconclusive but I don't know how to explain it

Experiment 3:

Stare at a red dot on a piece of paper for about 20 seconds. Turn the paper over, what do you see, and why?

I saw a bluish circle and I think its because I used all the red cones so I used the ones i have left, but why is it blue and how do I explain the rest of it?

help with this is greatly appreciated, the sooner the better, my lab book is due monday november 17 at 12:40 pm EST, so please...hurry

Biology news on Phys.org
I'll ask dark wing to come and have a look at these for you...

Originally posted by adeel
Experiment 3:

Stare at a red dot on a piece of paper for about 20 seconds. Turn the paper over, what do you see, and why?

I saw a bluish circle and I think its because I used all the red cones so I used the ones i have left, but why is it blue and how do I explain the rest of it?
Look on the web for a circle diagram that depicts the complementary colors, red and blue are opposites..

1. What is the structure of the eye and how does it work?

The eye is made up of several components, including the cornea, iris, lens, and retina. Light enters the eye through the cornea and is focused by the lens onto the retina, which contains light-sensitive cells called rods and cones. These cells then convert the light into electrical signals that are sent to the brain through the optic nerve, allowing us to see.

2. How does the brain process visual information?

Visual information is processed in the brain through a complex network of neurons and specialized areas. The primary visual cortex, located in the occipital lobe, is responsible for processing basic visual features such as shape, color, and motion. Other areas of the brain, such as the parietal and temporal lobes, then integrate this information to form a complete visual perception.

3. What causes vision problems and how can they be corrected?

Vision problems can be caused by a variety of factors, including genetics, aging, and diseases such as cataracts or glaucoma. They can also be a result of environmental factors such as excessive screen time or exposure to UV light. Vision problems can often be corrected with glasses, contact lenses, or surgery, depending on the specific issue.

4. How does color vision work and why do some people have color blindness?

Color vision is enabled by specialized cells called cones, which are located in the retina. These cones are sensitive to different wavelengths of light, allowing us to perceive a range of colors. Color blindness occurs when one or more types of cones are missing or not functioning properly, resulting in difficulty distinguishing certain colors.

5. Can vision be improved or enhanced?

While vision cannot be improved beyond its natural capabilities, there are strategies and technologies that can enhance or optimize visual performance. These include wearing glasses or contacts, practicing good eye health habits, and using assistive devices such as magnifiers or computer programs designed for people with vision impairments.