1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help figuring how much torque I need to move a cart.

1. May 14, 2013 #1
    I'm undertaking a little project. I am wanting to outfit a cart like this (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200411313_200411313) with RC gear. It will most likely use a hub mounted gear and a motor shaft mounted sprocket to turn the rear axle. I need to know what size of motor and gears I need to purchase to move the load I will put on it. Would like to build an excel spreadsheet so I can compare gear/motor combinations.

Here is some relevant information:

Mass of trailer and load: 150 lb
    Maximum speed: 5 mph
    Maximum needed acceleration: whatever is reasonably close to human acceleraton
    Tire diameter: 10"
    Maximum grade: 30 degrees
    Min/max number of teeth on sprocket: 8-20
    Min/max number of teeth on axle gear: 40-114
    Maximum motor RPM: don't have an exact number but electric motors (as you probably know) can spin pretty fast

I thank you for your help and look forward to learning how to calculate this.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted