Need help finding a derivation of the range formula

In summary, the range formula for a projectile in the absence of air can be derived by understanding that the vertical velocity at the time of impact is equal to -Vo*sin(theta). This leads to the equation t=2*Vo*sin(theta)/g, which, when plugged into the original formula V=Vo+at, gives us the range formula Range=Vhxt.
Yorganda
I need to find a derivation of the range formula for a projectile in the absence of air.

i know that the range formula is Range=Vhxt
i know that Vh=vcostheta

but in having trouble understanding how V=Vo+at can be re-arranged to = 2Vsintheta/g=t where a=g=9.8m/s/s (gravity)

i know V=Vo+at can be arranged to equal V-Vo/g=t
but this is where i get stuck, i don't know how to get to V-Vo=2Vsintheta

i know that vsintheta = vertical velocity

If anyone can help it would be appreciated heaps

Physics news on Phys.org
Because of the symmetry of the parabola, the ball will hit the ground with a vertical velocity of -Vo*sin(theta). So the net change in velocity is 2*Vo*sin(theta) which takes t=2*Vo*sin(theta)/g
That's a pretty hand-wavy explanation though.

The range formula for a projectile in the absence of air is derived from the equations of motion and the principles of projectile motion. It is given by:

Range = Vx * t

Where Vx is the horizontal component of the initial velocity and t is the time of flight.

To understand how this formula is derived, we need to break it down into its components. The horizontal motion of a projectile is constant, which means that the horizontal velocity remains the same throughout the motion. This is given by:

Vx = Vo * cos(theta)

Where Vo is the initial velocity and theta is the angle of projection.

Now, let's consider the vertical motion of the projectile. The vertical velocity changes due to the acceleration of gravity. We can use the equation of motion for vertical motion to find the time of flight, t:

V = Vo + at

Where V is the final vertical velocity, Vo is the initial vertical velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity (which is -9.8 m/s^2) and t is the time of flight.

Since the projectile starts and ends at the same height, the vertical displacement is zero. Using the equation of motion for vertical motion, we can find the time of flight, t:

0 = Vo * t + (1/2) * a * t^2

Solving for t, we get:

t = 2 * Vo * sin(theta) / a

Substituting this value of t in the range formula, we get:

Range = Vx * t

= (Vo * cos(theta)) * (2 * Vo * sin(theta) / a)

= (2 * Vo^2 * sin(theta) * cos(theta)) / a

= (Vo^2 * sin(2 * theta)) / a

This is the final form of the range formula, which is derived from the equations of motion and the principles of projectile motion. I hope this helps in understanding the derivation of the range formula.

1. How do I find the derivation of the range formula?

The range formula is derived using basic principles of physics and trigonometry. It involves understanding the projectile motion of an object and the factors that affect its range, such as initial velocity, angle of launch, and gravitational force.

2. What is the purpose of the range formula?

The range formula is used to calculate the horizontal distance traveled by a projectile in a given situation. It is commonly used in fields like physics, engineering, and ballistics to predict the trajectory of objects.

3. Are there different versions of the range formula?

Yes, there are different versions of the range formula depending on the specific scenario. For example, the range formula for a projectile fired from a horizontal surface will be different from one fired from an elevated position.

4. How can I apply the range formula in real-life situations?

The range formula can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating the distance a ball will travel when kicked, determining the ideal angle for a golf shot, or predicting the landing location of a missile. It is a useful tool for understanding and analyzing projectile motion.

5. Can the range formula be used for non-linear motion?

No, the range formula is specifically designed for linear projectile motion, where the object travels in a straight line. It cannot be used for non-linear motion, such as circular or parabolic trajectories.