Mastering Projectile Motion: How to Find Angle & Velocity of a Catapult

• Thread starter insanitytest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary: That sounds like a lot of work. Honestly, it probably isn't that bad. Provided you have a good video camera, you can probably just use video software to trace the path. In summary, if you have a good video camera and know how to use it, you can use video software to trace the path of the projectile.
insanitytest
I built a catapult for my physics class and we are required to find the angle and velocity of the catapult (projectile motion). I'm not entirely sure how to do this, can anyone explain please?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are several ways to do this. One is measuring the horizontal distance the proyectile reaches when you launch your catapult on a horizontal surface. Then you can use proyectile equations...however you will need to know the initial velocity.
It really depends on your catapult. You could paste a protractor to your catapult and see the angle it reaches at the moment it releases the proyectiles, or if you want to do it more accurately, you could record it, so that later, using slowmotion you can see exactly the angle, using the protractor as reference. Other ways include measuring the time of flight and the horizontal distance to find horizontal velocity.
Lol, let's see what other forumers have to say.

Last edited:
student85 said:
Lol, let's see what other forumers have to say.
What the hell happened to your 'j' key? :confused:

lol... "j" key----was it his mistake of using the word proyectiles?!

it is projectiles, isn't it?

Jes. :biggrin:

lol. english is not my first language. in spanish it´s proyectiles. haha excuse me.

insanitytest said:
I built a catapult for my physics class and we are required to find the angle and velocity of the catapult (projectile motion). I'm not entirely sure how to do this, can anyone explain please?

find how high and how far it goes, if it's a moderately sized catapult air resistance shouldn't be a problem... take the height to figure out it's original speed in ^ that direction, then take the distance along with it's flight time to find it's speed(which should remain close to constant) in > that direction... then take these to speeds, and use trig to figure out the velocity and the angle of it...

student85 said:
lol. english is not my first language. in spanish it´s proyectiles.
No problem, pal. I rather figured that such was the case. My post certainly wasn't meant to ridicule you; I just saw the opportunity for a joke and went for it. (And although I can't speak it, I'm actually part Spanish myself.)

I would try to measure it by setting up a video recorder perfectly side on from your catapult and taking repeat recordings. Try to set up a screen behind your catapult with square gridlines (number the rows and columns for reference) and get everything nice and horizontal, then if you can get a digital image on your computer you can trace the path quite accurately. Ideally you want to be a fair distance to minimise error, if you've got a good zoom use it.

1. What is an angle in science?

An angle is a measure of the amount of turn between two lines or surfaces around a point. It is typically measured in degrees or radians.

2. How do I find the angle between two objects?

To find the angle between two objects, you will need to know the length of each side and the angle between them. Using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent, you can calculate the angle. Alternatively, you can also use a protractor to physically measure the angle.

3. What is the importance of finding an angle in science?

Angles are important in science because they help us understand the relationships between different objects and their movements. They are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy, to describe the direction and magnitude of forces, the motion of objects, and the position of celestial bodies.

4. Can I use a calculator to find an angle?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find an angle using trigonometric functions. However, it is important to understand the concept behind these calculations and not solely rely on the calculator.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding angles in science?

Finding angles has many real-world applications, such as determining the trajectory of a projectile, calculating the height of a building or mountain, and understanding the movement of tectonic plates. It is also used in navigation, surveying, and satellite imaging.