Need help finding co-op grad school

In summary, as a physics major at a US public university, the individual is planning to apply to graduate school for computer engineering or quantum computing/experimental condensed matter. They are considering schools such as University of Waterloo, Northeastern, and their current school, but are also looking for other schools that offer a co-op program for work experience. Some recommended schools include Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of California, Berkeley, University of Michigan, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and Carnegie Mellon University.
fizziks
I'm a physics major at a US public univeristy atm. I'm thinking of applying to grad school for physics or engineering. I want to go into computer engineering or quantum computing/experimental condensed matter.

Right now, I'm planning to apply to the computer engineering schools at

University of Waterloo, Canada
Northeastern
My current school (doesn't offer a co-op program)
and a safety school

I'm will also apply to the physics at UW and Northeastern.

I'm trying to find other schools that may offer me some work experience in grad school while I finish my degree. Most likely a co-op program. I'm not shooting for IVY league schools or other top schools or even upper middle tier schools.

Does anyone know some other grad school that offer a good co-op program or something similar in the fields I want to go?

Physics news on Phys.org

I would recommend considering the following schools for your graduate studies in computer engineering or quantum computing/experimental condensed matter:

1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT): MIT is known for its strong programs in both computer engineering and quantum computing. They also offer a co-op program through their Office of Experiential Learning, allowing students to gain practical work experience while completing their degree.

2. University of California, Berkeley: UC Berkeley is another top-ranked university for both computer engineering and quantum computing. They offer a co-op program through their College of Engineering, as well as opportunities for research and internships in their Quantum Information and Computation Center.

3. University of Michigan: The University of Michigan offers a highly-regarded program in computer engineering, as well as a Quantum Science and Technology Initiative for students interested in quantum computing. They also have a co-op program through their College of Engineering.

4. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: This university has a strong program in both computer engineering and condensed matter physics. They offer a co-op program through their College of Engineering, as well as research and internship opportunities in their Materials Research Laboratory.

5. Carnegie Mellon University: CMU is known for its top-ranked computer engineering program and also offers a co-op program through their College of Engineering. They also have a Quantum Computing and Nanoelectronics Group within their Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.

These are just a few suggestions, but I would also recommend researching other universities that have strong programs in your areas of interest and reaching out to their admissions or engineering departments to inquire about co-op opportunities. Good luck with your applications!

I understand the importance of hands-on experience and practical training in graduate education. I would recommend exploring the websites and program offerings of universities that are known for their strong co-op programs, such as Drexel University, University of Cincinnati, and University of Massachusetts Lowell. These schools have reputable programs in both computer engineering and physics, and offer opportunities for students to gain work experience while pursuing their degrees.

Additionally, I would suggest reaching out to professors or researchers in your desired field at different universities to inquire about potential co-op opportunities. Networking and making connections within your field can often lead to unique and valuable experiences.

Lastly, don't limit yourself to only considering co-op programs. Many graduate programs also offer internships, research assistantships, and other forms of hands-on experience that can be just as beneficial. It may be worthwhile to look into these options as well.

Overall, it is important to thoroughly research and consider all options when choosing a graduate program. Don't be afraid to reach out to universities and professionals in your field to gather more information and find the best fit for your career goals. Good luck in your search for a co-op graduate school program!

What are the benefits of attending a co-op graduate school?

Attending a co-op graduate school allows students to gain hands-on experience in their field, make professional connections, and potentially secure a job after graduation. It also provides the opportunity to earn money while studying and can enhance a student's resume.

How do I find co-op opportunities for my desired graduate program?

The best way to find co-op opportunities for your desired graduate program is to research the universities and programs you are interested in and reach out to their career services or co-op offices. You can also attend career fairs or networking events to connect with potential employers.

What are the eligibility requirements for a co-op graduate program?

Eligibility requirements for co-op graduate programs vary by university and program. Generally, students must be enrolled in a graduate program and have completed a certain number of credits or coursework. Some programs may also have GPA requirements or specific skills or experience needed for certain co-op positions.

How can I balance my coursework with a co-op position?

Balancing coursework with a co-op position can be challenging but it is manageable with good time management skills. It is important to communicate with your employer and professors about your schedule and prioritize tasks effectively. Additionally, many co-op programs have resources and support to help students balance their workload.

What are some tips for succeeding in a co-op graduate program?

Some tips for succeeding in a co-op graduate program include networking with professionals in your field, staying organized and on top of deadlines, being proactive and taking initiative in your co-op position, and seeking guidance and support from your co-op coordinator or career services office. It is also important to maintain a good balance between work and personal life to avoid burnout.