Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help finding heat sink

  1. May 24, 2012 #1
    I am trying to find a certain type of heat sink. I am looking for these heat sinks that are closed on four sides with open ends as shown in the picture. Can anybody tell me what these are called or where I can purchase them?

  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2012 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    They look like extruded aluminum heatsiinks. Yours don't seem to have as many cooling fins as the usual designs. Are those rails just transferring the heat to the "real" heatsink mounted on top of them?

    Do a google images search on "aluminum extrusion".
  4. May 24, 2012 #3
    You have not shown how the inside looks like, it is very hard to judge.
    Do you really need to have it like this. I think I know what the box is, it's some type of enclosure that has very short fins inside. If so, it's not the best of heat dissipation. I think if you use a real heat sink, you don't need to be this fancy to have a tube like box and fan.

    You need to specify what is the power dissipation, what device you use to see what is the best heat sink.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook