Need help finding the magnatic b feild

• Thread starter leonne
  • Start date
Your Name]In summary, the use of vectors in electromagnetic fields is determined by the geometry of the problem. In simple cases, such as a long wire carrying current, we can use the right hand rule to determine the direction of the fields, but in more complex geometries, vectors are needed to accurately describe the fields. It is important to carefully consider the geometry when solving problems in electromagnetism and use the appropriate vector notation.
leonne

Homework Statement

got a question abotu the bfield ex a long wire carries current I ( the current flows down the surface of the inner cylinder, radius a back along the outer cylinder radius B

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i found the B field to be B=[tex]\mu[/tex]I/(2[tex]\pi[/tex]S) but they got the same thing but has a [tex]\widehat{}\phi[/tex] vector. My question is when do i know when i need a vector? Alot of the homework I did the B field was just what I had, but need to know to be able use the poyntin vector which has a cross product of E X B Also same thing with E field what do i need to look for?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

Thank you for your question. The use of vectors in electromagnetic fields is determined by the geometry of the problem. In the case of a long wire carrying current, the magnetic field is in the form of concentric circles around the wire. In this case, we can use the right hand rule to determine the direction of the magnetic field vector. However, in more complex geometries, such as a loop of wire or a solenoid, the magnetic field may have components in multiple directions and we would need to use vectors to accurately describe it.

Similarly, the electric field also depends on the geometry of the problem. In most cases, the electric field is in the same direction as the electric force, which can be determined using the right hand rule for positive charges. However, in cases where the electric field is not in the same direction as the electric force, we would need to use vectors to accurately describe it.

In general, when solving problems in electromagnetism, it is important to carefully consider the geometry and use the appropriate vector notation to accurately describe the fields. I hope this helps to clarify your question. Best of luck with your studies!

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force field produced by moving electric charges. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the strength of a magnetic field measured?

The strength of a magnetic field is measured in units called Tesla (T) or Gauss (G). One Tesla is equal to 10,000 Gauss.

3. What causes a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is caused by the movement of electric charges, such as the flow of electricity through a wire or the spinning of electrons in an atom.

4. How can I find the magnetic field at a specific point?

To find the magnetic field at a specific point, you will need to know the strength and direction of the current, as well as the distance and orientation from the current. You can use the right-hand rule or mathematical equations to calculate the magnetic field.

5. What are some common applications of magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields have many practical applications, including in motors, generators, MRI machines, compasses, and magnetic storage devices such as hard drives and credit cards.