What are the shapes and hybridization of these 13 chemicals for my lab?

• Thread starter chemstudent1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, the conversation is about someone needing help completing a lab involving 13 chemicals and various structures and properties. They are specifically asking for assistance with identifying the shape and hybridization of the chemicals. The person they are asking for help from advises them to try and figure it out themselves first and offers guidance. The person with the question also mentions struggling with drawing structures for molecules with double bonds.
chemstudent1
Need help finishing my lab...

I am having a hard time completing my lab. I was given 13 chemicals and have to draw the Lewis dot structure, there 3-D structures, Shape, Hybridization, bond angles, Polarity, and there Intermolecular forces. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the Shape (Linear, Trigonal planar,...) and Hybridization of the chemicals. I was told some of them have more then one shape in the bond. H2O, CH3OH, C2H5OH, CH3COOH, CH3COCH3, C6H14, NaCl, CaCO3, C10H8, C6H4OHCOOH, C6H12O6, C6H8O6, C40H56...I know it is a lot but any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

You just don't ask. You try, you tell us what you did, we push you in the right direction.

I did try...I did everything I just don't really get the shape and hybridization thing...But I can figure it out I just have one more question...How do you draw a Lewis dot structure and a 3-D structure for something tat shares double bonds...I can draw one of them i don't know if its the 3-D or the Lewis dot...

1. Why do I need help finishing my lab?

Finishing a lab can be a challenging and time-consuming task, and it's common for students to need assistance. Whether you're struggling with understanding the concepts or simply running out of time, seeking help can ensure that you complete your lab accurately and on time.

2. Who can I ask for help with finishing my lab?

You can reach out to your professor, teaching assistant, or classmates for assistance. Additionally, many schools offer tutoring services or writing centers where you can get help with your lab work.

3. How can I best prepare for getting help with my lab?

Before seeking help, make sure you have a clear understanding of the lab instructions and materials. Have your notes and any relevant resources on hand, and be prepared to explain where you are struggling so that the person helping you can provide targeted assistance.

4. What should I expect when getting help with my lab?

The person helping you may ask you questions to better understand where you are struggling and may provide guidance, tips, or explanations to help you complete the lab. They may also give you additional resources or examples to refer to.

5. Is it okay to seek help with my lab?

Yes, it is completely acceptable and encouraged to seek help with your lab. In fact, seeking help shows that you are committed to learning and completing your work to the best of your ability.