Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need help finishing problem

1. Sep 14, 2004 #1
    need help finishing problem!!

For a certain commodity, the deman equation is given by D= -5p + 50. At a price of $1, twelve units of the commodity are supplied. If the supply equation is linear and the market price is $4, find the supply equation.

I know that the supply equation is linear, it must be of the form
    s= ap+ b. I also know that "At a price of $1, twelve units of the commodity are supplied"- that is, when p= 1, s= 12 so 12= a(1)+ b or a+ b= 1. That means that b= 1- a and the supply equation can be written s= ap+ 1- a. Finally, its says that the "Market price is $4" which means that the value of p at which the supply and demand equations give s= D is 4. The demand equation is D= -5p + 5. When p= 4, what is D? I know what D equals. I also know s: s= D. I'm just not sure how put that value of s as well as p= 4 into the supply equation and solve for a. Can someone help!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you make sure you copied the question down correctly (especially, the demand curve) ? At a market price of $4, the demand would be negative (-15), and that's not sensible.

4. Sep 14, 2004 #3
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I edited the problem, everything should read correctly now..

5. Sep 14, 2004 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You mean a+b=12 or b=12-a, or S = ap + 12 - a

Correct.

You mean D = -5p + 50, according to your correction. So at p=4, D = -20+50 = 30.

At p=4, S=D, and D=30, so S=30.

Now use S(4) = 30 in the equation for the supply curve.
    Again, S = ap + 12 - a = 4a + 12 - a = 30
    Or, 3a + 12 = 30.

This gives you 'a', from which you get the complete supply curve equation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook