1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help finishing problem

1. Sep 14, 2004 #1
    need help finishing problem!!

For a certain commodity, the deman equation is given by D= -5p + 50. At a price of $1, twelve units of the commodity are supplied. If the supply equation is linear and the market price is $4, find the supply equation.

I know that the supply equation is linear, it must be of the form
    s= ap+ b. I also know that "At a price of $1, twelve units of the commodity are supplied"- that is, when p= 1, s= 12 so 12= a(1)+ b or a+ b= 1. That means that b= 1- a and the supply equation can be written s= ap+ 1- a. Finally, its says that the "Market price is $4" which means that the value of p at which the supply and demand equations give s= D is 4. The demand equation is D= -5p + 5. When p= 4, what is D? I know what D equals. I also know s: s= D. I'm just not sure how put that value of s as well as p= 4 into the supply equation and solve for a. Can someone help!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you make sure you copied the question down correctly (especially, the demand curve) ? At a market price of $4, the demand would be negative (-15), and that's not sensible.

4. Sep 14, 2004 #3
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I edited the problem, everything should read correctly now..

5. Sep 14, 2004 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You mean a+b=12 or b=12-a, or S = ap + 12 - a

Correct.

You mean D = -5p + 50, according to your correction. So at p=4, D = -20+50 = 30.

At p=4, S=D, and D=30, so S=30.

Now use S(4) = 30 in the equation for the supply curve.
    Again, S = ap + 12 - a = 4a + 12 - a = 30
    Or, 3a + 12 = 30.

This gives you 'a', from which you get the complete supply curve equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?