Need help focusing a 405nm or 10.6 uM laser to 1-25 micron spot

• Thread starter nmz787
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser
In summary, a forum user is seeking advice on which laser and optics to use for a custom CNC laser etcher. They are working on microfluidics and need to cut precise depths in silicone, PDMS, and acrylic. They are considering a CO2 laser or a 405nm laser and have done some calculations to determine the spot size for each. Based on their calculations, it seems that the 405nm laser would be the better option for their needs. They are seeking confirmation and thank anyone in advance for their help.
nmz787
Hi all, I'm a total NEWB to this forum, so Hi!

I need help deciding which laser to go with, and choosing optics (I'm almost a complete optics NEWB, I don't know any of the simple equations by heart)

I'm working on microfluidics, and am building a custom CNC laser etcher that has a step size of about 0.2 microns. I need to cut about 50 microns depth of a silicone, PDMS, and another 50 microns depth of acrylic.

I'm not sure whether its more realistic and/or cheaper to go with a CO2 laser of the 405nm laser. I know CO2 cuts my material, but electronics are higher voltage, its physically larger, and optics are more expensive and working distance won't be as large. Blue lasers have a worse beam profile, are untested with my material (though likely to work), have lower power, but optics are much cheaper and its easier to get a small spot size.

I know in either case I'll need a beam expander (galilean) and a focus lens (plano convex I think).

Some rough calculations:
Spot Diameter = ( 4 * wavelength * (lens focal length) ) / ( pi * beam
diameter )

If that's true, then for a 2mm focal length and a 1W 405nm wickedlaser's 5mm beam:
(4 * 0.405 * 20000)/(3.14 * 5000) = 2.06 microns

For CO2 (10.6 micron wavelength) @ 20mm focus with 2mm beam (no expansion):
(4 * 10.6 * 20000)/(3.14 * 2000) = 135 microns

Science news on Phys.org
So looks like the 405nm laser is better for my needs. Please correct me if I'm wrong!Thanks in advance for any help you can give!Cheers

1. What is the best way to focus a 405nm or 10.6 uM laser?

The best way to focus a 405nm or 10.6 uM laser is to use a lens with a short focal length. This will allow for a tighter focus and a smaller spot size. It is also important to ensure that the laser beam is properly aligned with the lens.

2. What is the ideal spot size for a 405nm or 10.6 uM laser?

The ideal spot size for a 405nm or 10.6 uM laser will depend on the specific application. However, a spot size between 1-25 microns is generally considered to be suitable for most purposes.

3. How can I adjust the spot size of a 405nm or 10.6 uM laser?

The spot size of a laser can be adjusted by changing the focal length of the lens, or by using a variable aperture to control the size of the beam. Additionally, some lasers have built-in focusing mechanisms that can be used to adjust the spot size.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of focusing a 405nm or 10.6 uM laser?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of focusing a laser, including the quality of the lens, the alignment of the laser beam, and any environmental factors such as air turbulence or vibrations. It is important to carefully calibrate and align the laser before attempting to focus it.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when focusing a 405nm or 10.6 uM laser?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when working with any laser, including a 405nm or 10.6 uM laser. This may include wearing appropriate protective eyewear, following proper handling procedures, and ensuring that the laser is used in a controlled environment to prevent accidental exposure to the laser beam.