1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help focusing a 405nm or 10.6 uM laser to 1-25 micron spot

1. Apr 18, 2012 #1
    Hi all, I'm a total NEWB to this forum, so Hi!

I need help deciding which laser to go with, and choosing optics (I'm almost a complete optics NEWB, I don't know any of the simple equations by heart)

I'm working on microfluidics, and am building a custom CNC laser etcher that has a step size of about 0.2 microns. I need to cut about 50 microns depth of a silicone, PDMS, and another 50 microns depth of acrylic.

I'm not sure whether its more realistic and/or cheaper to go with a CO2 laser of the 405nm laser. I know CO2 cuts my material, but electronics are higher voltage, its physically larger, and optics are more expensive and working distance won't be as large. Blue lasers have a worse beam profile, are untested with my material (though likely to work), have lower power, but optics are much cheaper and its easier to get a small spot size.

I know in either case I'll need a beam expander (galilean) and a focus lens (plano convex I think).

Some rough calculations:
    Spot Diameter = ( 4 * wavelength * (lens focal length) ) / ( pi * beam
    diameter )

If that's true, then for a 2mm focal length and a 1W 405nm wickedlaser's 5mm beam:
    (4 * 0.405 * 20000)/(3.14 * 5000) = 2.06 microns

For CO2 (10.6 micron wavelength) @ 20mm focus with 2mm beam (no expansion):
    (4 * 10.6 * 20000)/(3.14 * 2000) = 135 microns

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted