Understanding the Proof of Theorem 5.1 in a Complex Analysis Paper

• Thread starter benorin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of Theorem 5.1, also known as equation (53), on page 16 of a paper being read. It is mentioned that multiplying equation (22) by (s-1) and differentiating with respect to s at s=1 would not be the same as Corollary 5.2. The use of the limit definition in computing the derivative is suggested, with equation (41) being relevant in this context. It is clarified that (22) is only valid when s is not 1, and at s=1, f(1) is defined as 1 due to the presence of a simple pole in \Phi(1,s,u) with residue 1
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
The paper I am reading is http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/math/pdf/0506/0506319.pdf ).

I am trying to follow the proof of Theorem 5.1 [a.k.a. eqn. (53)] on pg. 16. Multiplying (22) by (s-1) and differentiating w.r.t. s at s=1 wouldn't be the same as Corrollary 5.2 since s=1, right? So instead use the limit definition, e.g. using

[tex]\frac{\partial f(1)}{\partial s} = \lim_{s\rightarrow 1} \frac{f(s)-f(1)}{s-1} [/tex]

to compute the derivative, is this the right direction? How does (41) come into play here?

Thanks in advance for getting sucked far enough into my problem to post a reply

-Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't read this very thoroughly, but that looks correct on why cor. 5.2 doesn't apply. (22) was only valid when s was not 1.

The limit is the right idea for the derivative. When you multiply by (s-1) in (22), you get an expression for [tex]f(s)=(s-1)\Phi(1,s,u)[/tex] that's valid when s is not 1. At s=1, you define f(1) to be 1 as [tex]\Phi(1,s,u)[/tex] has a simple pole there with residue 1. (41) is

[tex]\lim_{s\rightarrow 1}\frac{(s-1)\Phi(1,s,u)-1}{s-1}[/tex]

which is the derivative of this f(s) at s=1.

Thank you shmoe! That makes it vividly clear to me.

-Ben

1. What are the steps involved in following a proof?

The steps involved in following a proof can vary depending on the specific proof and the level of complexity. However, in general, the steps involve reading and understanding the statement of the theorem or proposition, identifying any given information or assumptions, following the logical steps of the proof, and checking for any errors or gaps in reasoning.

2. How do I know if I am on the right track when following a proof?

One way to know if you are on the right track when following a proof is to check your understanding of each step and make sure it logically follows from the previous step. Additionally, you can check if your conclusions align with the given information or assumptions and if you have reached the desired outcome as stated in the theorem or proposition.

3. What should I do if I get stuck while following a proof?

If you get stuck while following a proof, it is important to take a step back and review the information and assumptions given. You can also try breaking down the proof into smaller steps or seeking help from a peer or instructor. It is also helpful to consult other resources, such as textbooks or online explanations, to gain a better understanding of the concepts involved.

4. Is it okay to use outside resources when following a proof?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to consult outside resources when following a proof. In fact, it can be helpful to gain a better understanding of the concepts and steps involved. However, it is important to make sure you understand the logic and reasoning behind each step rather than just blindly following the proof.

5. How can I improve my ability to follow and understand proofs?

Improving your ability to follow and understand proofs takes practice and patience. It can be helpful to start with simpler proofs and work your way up to more complex ones. It is also important to actively engage with the material and ask questions when something is unclear. Additionally, seeking help from others and consulting additional resources can also aid in improving your understanding of proofs.