1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help following a proof

1. Jul 12, 2006 #1

benorin

Homework Helper

The paper I am reading is Double integrals and infinite products for some classical constants via analytic continuations of Lerch's transcendent (PDF) by Jesus Guillera & Jonathan Sondow (look here for other formats: http://arxiv.org/abs/math.NT/0506319 ).

I am trying to follow the proof of Theorem 5.1 [a.k.a. eqn. (53)] on pg. 16. Multiplying (22) by (s-1) and differentiating w.r.t. s at s=1 wouldn't be the same as Corrollary 5.2 since s=1, right? So instead use the limit definition, e.g. using

[tex]\frac{\partial f(1)}{\partial s} = \lim_{s\rightarrow 1} \frac{f(s)-f(1)}{s-1} [/tex]

to compute the derivative, is this the right direction? How does (41) come into play here?

Thanks in advance for getting sucked far enough into my problem to post a reply

-Ben

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2006 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I haven't read this very thoroughly, but that looks correct on why cor. 5.2 doesn't apply. (22) was only valid when s was not 1.

The limit is the right idea for the derivative. When you multiply by (s-1) in (22), you get an expression for [tex]f(s)=(s-1)\Phi(1,s,u)[/tex] that's valid when s is not 1. At s=1, you define f(1) to be 1 as [tex]\Phi(1,s,u)[/tex] has a simple pole there with residue 1. (41) is

[tex]\lim_{s\rightarrow 1}\frac{(s-1)\Phi(1,s,u)-1}{s-1}[/tex]

which is the derivative of this f(s) at s=1.

4. Jul 13, 2006 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

Thank you shmoe! That makes it vividly clear to me.

-Ben

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?