Need help for a projectile problem

• Thread starter mad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the conversation revolved around a projectile problem that the person was having trouble solving. They provided details about the problem and asked for help in finding the initial velocity required to reach the basket. The conversation continued with equations and explanations on how to solve the problem, including the use of the double angle formula. The person expressed their gratitude for the help received.
mad
Hello..
There is a projectile problem that I can't seem to resolve.. I have tried it for more than 30min now and can't find out how to do it.. I got an exam in 2 days so would someone please help me and tell me how to do this exercice:

A basket-ball is launched at an angle of 45 degres (it is on the ground). The basket is at an horizontal distance of 4m and a vertical distance of 0,8m. What is the initial velocity (Vo) required to reach the basket?

.. sorry for my english this is translated from french.. here is what I tried to do but I know its not good..

http://img39.exs.cx/img39/4460/gdg.jpg

thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, set [itex]y_0 = 0[/tex] because they gave the height of the hoop relative to the starting height.

You should be able to combine your first two equations to give y as a function of x and when you solve that equation for [itex]v_0[/itex] you will find
[tex]v_0 = \sqrt \frac {g x^2}{x-y}[/tex]
which actually works out to a nice round number in your problem!

Tide said:
First, set [itex]y_0 = 0[/tex] because they gave the height of the hoop relative to the starting height.

You should be able to combine your first two equations to give y as a function of x and when you solve that equation for [itex]v_0[/itex] you will find
[tex]v_0 = \sqrt \frac {g x^2}{x-y}[/tex]
which actually works out to a nice round number in your problem!

Thanks a lot.. but would you explain me how you got that formula and what is wrong with what I did so I can learn to not do it again?

Thank you very much for your time

Since the launch angle is 45 degrees
[tex]y = \frac {v_0 t}{\sqrt 2} - \frac {1}{2} g t^2[/tex]
[tex]x = \frac {v_0 t}{\sqrt 2}[/tex]
Solve the second equation for t and substitute into the first:
[tex]y = x - \frac {g x^2}{v_0^2}[/tex]
from which my earlier equation follows.

P.s.

As to what you did wrong I think you just got bogged down in your algebra.

Last edited:
Tide said:
Since the launch angle is 45 degrees
[tex]y = \frac {v_0 t}{\sqrt 2} - \frac {1}{2} g t^2[/tex]
[tex]x = \frac {v_0 t}{\sqrt 2}[/tex]
Solve the second equation for t and substitute into the first:
[tex]y = x - \frac {g x^2}{v_0^2}[/tex]
from which my earlier equation follows.

I feel very dumb for asking this.. but where does [tex]{\sqrt 2}[/tex] come from?

I know that X=Vxo*t which gives X=Vo * Cos45* t
and Y= Yo +Vyo*t - 1/2 *g * t^2

but why do you put a [tex]{\sqrt 2}[/tex] ?

Thanks very much for your time

[tex]\cos 45^\circ=\sin 45^\circ=\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}=\frac{\sqrt 2}{2}[/tex]

YES! I finally got it! I was doing it alright but I just messed up with my algebra like you said.. except you gave me a much simpler way. I just couldn't use the [tex]{\sqrt 2}[/tex] because my teacher never told use about that.

Also, when do I have to use this: 2 sin A * cos A = Sin 2A ? In what type of problems is this used?
thanks again

mad said:
YES! I finally got it! I was doing it alright but I just messed up with my algebra like you said.. except you gave me a much simpler way. I just couldn't use the [tex]{\sqrt 2}[/tex] because my teacher never told use about that.

Also, when do I have to use this: 2 sin A * cos A = Sin 2A ? In what type of problems is this used?
thanks again

The double angle shows up in trajectory type problems when you try to calculate the range of a projectile. We didn't have to invoke it for the problem you posed.

Tide said:
The double angle shows up in trajectory type problems when you try to calculate the range of a projectile. We didn't have to invoke it for the problem you posed.

I was doing another problem and I had to use this. It was
(9.8 * 53) / 2* 87^2 = sinX* cosX

so I did this:
(9.8 * 53)/ 87^2 = 2*sinX*cosX
-->
(9.8 * 53)/ 87^2 = Sin 2X

but I have no idea how to find this.. the teacher never talked about it. Ill try to find out on the internet. I just want to thank you again for all those replies and help.

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is propelled or launched into the air and follows a curved path due to the force of gravity acting upon it.

2. How do I solve a projectile problem?

To solve a projectile problem, you will need to know the initial velocity, launch angle, and the acceleration due to gravity. Then, you can use equations of motion and trigonometry to calculate the height, distance, and time of flight for the projectile.

3. What is the formula for calculating projectile motion?

The formula for calculating projectile motion is:
- Horizontal distance: x = v0 * cos(θ) * t
- Vertical distance: y = v0 * sin(θ) * t - (1/2) * g * t2
- Time of flight: t = 2 * v0 * sin(θ) / g
Where v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What are the units for projectile motion?

The units for projectile motion are:
- Distance: meters (m)
- Time: seconds (s)
- Velocity: meters per second (m/s)
- Acceleration: meters per second squared (m/s2)
- Angle: degrees (°) or radians (rad)

5. Can you give an example of a projectile problem?

Sure! An example of a projectile problem could be: A ball is thrown with an initial velocity of 20 m/s at an angle of 30° above the horizontal. What is the maximum height reached by the ball and how far does it travel horizontally before hitting the ground?
Using the formula for vertical distance, we can calculate the maximum height:
y = (20 m/s) * sin(30°) * t - (1/2) * (9.8 m/s2) * t2
At maximum height, y = 0, so t = 4.08 seconds
Plugging in t = 4.08 seconds, we can solve for the horizontal distance using the formula for horizontal distance:
x = (20 m/s) * cos(30°) * (4.08 s)
x = 69.3 meters
Therefore, the maximum height reached by the ball is approximately 10.2 meters and it travels 69.3 meters horizontally before hitting the ground.