Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help for an equation

1. Nov 26, 2011 #1
    Hi there,
    I do not know why, but I cannot get to the solution of the following equation.
    The equation is :

(m*x+m[p]*x[p])/(m+m[p]) = 0

And, I know that if this is solved for x[p], it will get to : x[p] = -x m/m[p] (Written in Textbook, and I checked it using Maple)

However, I tried times and times, but I could not get to the correct answer through the steps. Each time I tried I got to : x[p] = 1 + ( 1 - x)m/m[p]

Can someone show me the steps here please?

** It is my first post in this forum, and I saw some other similar threads in this part of forum. However, I am not sure if I did post it in the right place, hope I did not violate any rules.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2011 #2

It should be not fruitful for you to straightaway give the solution which is very simple.
    Better, write what yo did and how you obtain x[p] = 1 + ( 1 - x)m/m[p] , which obviously is false, and we could show you where is the mistake.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook