Need help to begin research on M-theory

In summary, an expert summarizer would say that someone interested in superspring and M-theory should read Zwiebach, green-schwarz-witten, and Tong's lecture notes.
athosanian
Hi, I am very interested in superspring and M-theory and hope to begin reserches on these fields. Could anone provide me some advice on how to enter into this field ? or could anyone suggests some foremost paper for me to read ? Thanks a lot !

by the way, I am a student studying physics undergraduately. Although my research in post graduate not concerns on fundamental physics, I have been always interted in these theories.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd start with Zwiebach. After that, green-schwarz-witten combined with Tong's lecture notes are good. I also like West.

Likes athosanian
athosanian said:
Hi, I am very interested in superspring and M-theory and hope to begin reserches on these fields. Could anone provide me some advice on how to enter into this field ? or could anyone suggests some foremost paper for me to read ? Thanks a lot !

by the way, I am a student studying physics undergraduately. Although my research in post graduate not concerns on fundamental physics, I have been always interted in these theories.

Have you approached any of your instructors with this question? He/she, more than anyone of us on here, should know more about your academic background and will be able to give you a more appropriate recommendation.

Zz.

Likes athosanian
haushofer said:
I'd start with Zwiebach. After that, green-schwarz-witten combined with Tong's lecture notes are good. I also like West.
Hi, haushofer, thank you very much ! you recommends much useful information for me. sorry that I was not able to response in time due to some troubles I confronted.

ZapperZ said:
Have you approached any of your instructors with this question? He/she, more than anyone of us on here, should know more about your academic background and will be able to give you a more appropriate recommendation.

Zz.
thank you, ZapperZ, you gave me a good advice. I will try. But I still do not find some people who study this field around me.

1. What is M-theory?

M-theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to unify all fundamental forces and particles in the universe into a single, coherent theory. It is often referred to as a "theory of everything" and is still a subject of ongoing research and debate.

2. How is M-theory different from other theories?

M-theory is unique in that it combines elements from various existing theories, such as string theory and supergravity, to create a more comprehensive and all-encompassing theory. It also proposes the existence of additional dimensions beyond the three spatial dimensions and one time dimension that we are familiar with.

3. What are the main principles of M-theory?

The main principles of M-theory include the concept of multiple dimensions, the existence of superpartners for known particles, and the idea of a single fundamental force that unifies all others. It also suggests that the universe may be made up of tiny, vibrating strings rather than point-like particles.

4. What are some current areas of research in M-theory?

Some current areas of research in M-theory include attempts to find experimental evidence for its concepts, such as the existence of extra dimensions and superpartners. There is also ongoing research on the implications of M-theory for cosmology and the origin of the universe.

5. How can I begin researching M-theory?

To begin researching M-theory, it is important to have a strong foundation in physics and mathematics. Familiarize yourself with the concepts and principles of M-theory, and keep up with current research and developments in the field. You can also consider studying under a mentor or joining a research team focused on M-theory.