Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help for book (fiction)

1. Sep 21, 2010 #1
    Hi, I'm writing a book of fiction and I need some help with concepts of quantum physics. Does anybody feel like helping me?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

4. Sep 21, 2010 #3
    Well, I have no formal physics training, but I have a fairly good grasp of the concepts of uncertainty, entanglement and atomic structure. I'm not trying to write anything detailed, but the storyline will require some degree of plausibility and I want to be sure I don't run off the rails.

5. Sep 21, 2010 #4

berkeman

Fair enough. Do you understand most of the info at the wiki link that I posted? What sort of plot do you have so far for the book? What parts of QM do you want to include?

6. Sep 21, 2010 #5
    Would you be comfortable discussing issues such as plot privately?

7. Sep 21, 2010 #6

berkeman

I'm an EE, not a physicist, so I'm a poor choice for helping you with QM details. I mostly wanted to clarify what you were looking for. Hopefully you will get some other responses here soon. If not, I can move the thread to General Physics or General Discussion. Let's give it a day or two to see what responses you get.

8. Sep 21, 2010 #7
    Thanks a million. I'm new here, and wasn't sure if this was the place to start.

9. Sep 22, 2010 #8
    Why don't you provide a few more details as to the desired size (number of pages) and scope of your work.

10. Sep 22, 2010 #9
    And can you also explain how much the plot depends on Quantum Mechanical concepts?

11. Sep 23, 2010 #10
    The best way to do this is to ask questions that are specific to an issue in your planned book, and see what people can figure out by knocking ideas around. We're all aware this relates to a work of fiction, so it can even be a little fun. :smile:

12. Sep 23, 2010 #11
    I'm interested in discussing some aspects of quantum mechanics (and general physics) surrounding the Big Bang. Also, I'd like to talk about some aspects of the concept of quantum entanglement, and the nature of time.

13. Sep 23, 2010 #12
    I should mention that I'm particularly interested in talking about the book privately, with someone interested enough to tolerate my layman's understanding of sophisticated physics. Of course, I will credit that person appropriately.

14. Sep 23, 2010 #13
    Well, here's a short introduction to entropy and the nature of time, . By the way this movie is awesome and watching it might help with understanding the ideas of quantum physics.

Good Luck with the book

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook