1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

.need help for choosing major deadline next tuesday

1. Jul 4, 2008 #1
    URGENT.need help for choosing major...deadline next tuesday

i just finished first year life science and i noe that life science will probably nto give me a very stable, ok paid job that i wanted..haha

anywayz....i decided to apply to transfer into FIRST YEAR engineering in the coming september....but...i also got into a combined major of computer science and biology (maybe something to do with bioinformatics in the future)

my quesiton is...let say i go into electrical engineering or computer engineering in the future, how do this engineering major compare to the combined major i mentioned above.

what are the job outlooks in either field...which one will give me better pay..which field has a larger volume of job openings?

also, if possible, what are the outlooks for bioinformatics? (let say i do a masters in bioinformatics)

Looking Foward to Your Replys
    THANKS in Advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2008 #2
    Re: URGENT.need help for choosing major...deadline next tuesday

First of all, you need to compare curriculums. Post them on here and then I will give you some help, even give som advice from going to lifesciences to electrical engineering? (is that even possible in the states? :surprised)

4. Jul 4, 2008 #3

thx for the reply
    im in UBC , and dont worry about the transfer part.

could you tell me....between computational biology and electrical or computer engineering, which one will hav a better job outlook, volume of job opening, and etc. after maybe 5years when i graduate?

sry if my quesitons are not clear...please tell me if itz still not clear...i realli do need some expert advice soon

THANK you very much!!!

5. Jul 4, 2008 #4

Biology + computer science will make you a strong candidate for computational biology graduate programs. And if your goals change, computer science stands alone as a major with good prospects

6. Jul 4, 2008 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

No major guarantees you a job. Furthermore, we can't tell if you'd be a good EE (to pick an example) or a bad one, and that makes more of a difference than the field you chose. But I will suggest that a class or two on writing will certainly be worthwhile.

7. Jul 4, 2008 #6

Personally, I think that you are rushing your decision as you point out the deadline is next Tuesday. Picking a major is a tough decision.

From personal experience, I switched majors during college. Upon graduation, I received a job in education and just found the environment dismal after three years of employment, so I am now back in college completing a few undergraduate courses in physics and astronomy to prepare myself to enter graduate school. In hindsight, I didn't prepare myself for the future the first time I was in college. It sounds like you are having a similar problem--this is common though.

I think an important point for consideration is to think about what motivates you personally. Is it money or doing work that you enjoy? With such a quick deadline approaching, I find it doubtful that you can make a decision confidently. If you do have a couple of majors already in mind, compare the curricula, and take classes in the fall semester that are complimentary to the majors and that can be applied towards your graduation credit requirement. This won't sent you back financially and will give you time to seriously think about your decision. Note that some colleges offer classes intermittently (every other year), so do take this into consideration or you could be set back.

Good Luck!

8. Jul 6, 2008 #7

lostnoob: Seriously, write out the courses and compare them?! What is so hard about that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?