Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help for my project

1. May 16, 2010 #1
    Need help for my project!!URGENT!!

I m a student doing my final year project in Imperial College London.

The project is to study the willingness of drivers in using shared space.
    This survey is carried out as part of a larger research project on shared space at Imperial College London and is addressed to ALL DRIVERS.

I really want your help to fill in my survey!!!!it only take less than 10 mins to finish it and it consists of a very short introduction, followed by 16 questions.

Your comments are sososo important to me and will contribute to the better design of shared spaces in the coming years as well!!!!! crying crying crying please help me!!!!

Please go to the link to complete the survey.
    https://academictrial.qualtrics.com/SE?SID=SV_0krSaC2OpAjlZac&SVID=Prod

smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Re: Need help for my project!!URGENT!!

I took the survey and it was fun. It is anonymous.

4. May 17, 2010 #3

Did it too, don't like crowdy and bad light.

5. May 17, 2010 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The only thing that would bother me in that scenario is dim light. All the other factors I can deal with.

One thing not in the scenario - bicycles and/or skateboards. Definitely would be a concern to me, especially in dim light.

Oh and the steering wheel was on the wrong side :tongue2:.

6. May 17, 2010 #5

Well, if you find yourself not moving because of a pedestrian stampede, it's not really where you want to be. I think in some places the admission of cars is limited in time, not during pedestrian rush hour.

7. May 17, 2010 #6

It was the areas with children and elderly, with dim light..

8. May 17, 2010 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It was the many children and elderly, in a small, dim space, in a big car. Sounds like playing clue. :biggrin:

9. May 17, 2010 #8

Mrs. Peacock in the dining room with a lead pipe.

Most of the spaces I said "no" to had lots of people, particularly older and younger people, and dim lighting. If you've got people on the street with my car, light it up.

The shared spaces look attractive, though.

10. May 20, 2010 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I said "no" to a lot of them. It's bad enough driving with other cars on the road, let alone having pedestrians or children thrown into the mix (though I had trouble understanding where the children were or what they were doing if they weren't the pedestrians...how do you have lots of children and few pedestrians? Are they parked in their strollers as obstacles along the path?).

Having pedestrians and vehicles in the same space reminds me too much of trying to drive through one of our campuses. Basically, you can't. There are no controlled crosswalks, just big signs saying to yield to pedestrians. You really don't have much choice when they don't yield to you. If you stop for one, you may never move again, because one will get about halfway across then another appears, then a group of 6, then someone from the other side starts across, etc. It literally took a half hour to drive 5 car lengths the last time I had to drive through that area, because there was never a break in pedestrian activity and some of the drivers ahead of me weren't as assertive as I am about rolling forward while someone is crossing to make it clear to the one on the sidewalk I'm not sitting there forever.

I prefer to just avoid that road entirely, and drive several blocks out of the way to do just that. Even when I drive to that campus, I usually try to park in one of the peripheral parking areas and walk to avoid driving anywhere near where the students are. Once in a while, I don't have a choice and hate it.

11. May 21, 2010 #10

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My thoughts exactly, MB... Children and elderly would just make it worse. Children more than the elderly, they have a tendency to walk into danger -- especially scary on tricycles or skateboards ... and how about pets? Someone walking 12 dogs (on leashes) can block up a lot of traffic, both pedestrian and vehicular! I've heard of unleashed dogs jumping into major streets with moderate to heavy traffic (and not cause any accident, at least in that instance, but that's not guaranteed).

Last edited: May 21, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook