1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Help in Choosing career

1. Jun 22, 2011 #1
    Hi All,

I am 22years old and working in Software IT for past 1year but i am not satisfied with the job currently am doing.. My interest is towards my core Electronics since i have done my engineering in Electronics.. For Past one year i have never touched/refereshed anything related to electronics.. Also i got mentally depressed in working in thos software field and not able to perform the tasks given to me.. i need to change myself and my carrer as soon as possible..
    i dont know what should i do nw.. Please Help/Advice me,,,

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2011 #2
    If you don't want to completely abandon your place of employment (in this market, you'd do well to hang on to whatever you have), consider moving toward the telecommunications and networking side of the IT department.

Get some experience with how circuits and protocols are set up, how modulation schemes work, learn about power systems, reliability, and so on. As you progress more and more toward the telecom side, you might consider making the hop toward a telecommunications company.

This will take time. The other option is to go work for a place that appreciates your skill set better. Electronics is still valued for large scale stuff, such as substation design, motor design, and so forth.

Another alternative is to look in to embedded systems. That could combine your skills learned in IT with the skills you might have with electronic design.

There are lots of options out there.

4. Jun 22, 2011 #3
    Hi Jake,

Thanks for the reply..,,
    Is it better to do some courses related to the core electronics while working?
    If so,.. Can you please guide me which course is better to learn!

5. Jun 22, 2011 #4
    I can't make any specific suggestions here. I can only relate what worked for me. For me, taking theory classes without any sort of every-day experience to hang it on was toxic and pointless.

I know lots of theory that is no use at all in the real world. I also know lots of practical stuff that theories can explain, but are difficult to predict. For example, how much capacitance using what kinds of parts should be used to decouple the power supply of a high gain audio amplifier? You don't learn that in an undergrad engineering class, and I'm not even sure that you'd learn it in a graduate course.

In another example, what are the significance of the current and voltage nodes in an antenna? Sure, anyone can design an antenna that will work the first day you put it up, but how do you keep corrosion from causing problems later?

So in my line of work, I found it very helpful to be working with an oscilloscope and a spectrum analyzer while studying Fourier and Laplace transforms. I read lots of practical design books in addition to my regular textbooks.

But that's how I learn. I tend toward the hands-on practical side of engineering.

Others tend toward the more theoretical side of things. They develop modeling programs that can predict many things in the future and they write articles about the limits to the rules of thumb used by people like me.

So for someone like that, I don't think a conventional work environment is particularly helpful.

But I mostly know the practical side, of things, not the theoretical side. Perhaps someone else could address that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook