Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help in derivation

1. Oct 15, 2004 #1

I'm new to the forums. This is my first thread here. I just wanted help in knowing where the motion equations (s=ut+0.5at^2, and v^2=u^2+2as) are derived from?

Thanks in advance..
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They are a consequence of the definition of acceleration as the second derivative of position (as a function of time). When the acceleration is constant, it's easy to find the velocity by doing a very simple integration.

The constant term is the velocity at time t=0. If we integrate this, we find the position as a function of time.

I could have added a new constant term that would have represented the position at time t=0, but this is usually chosen to be zero.

The second equation in your post can be derived from the velocity and position equations above.
  4. Oct 16, 2004 #3
    fundamentally they were derived from equation of acceleration.

5. Oct 17, 2004 #4
    start off with the definition of acceleration...
    [tex]a = \frac{v_f-v_0}{t}[/tex]
    [tex]v_f = v_0 + at[/tex]

Definition of average velocity...
    [tex]v_{ave} = d/t[/tex]
    [tex]d = \frac{v_f + v_0}{2}t[/tex]

[tex]d = \frac{(v_0+at) + v_0}{2}t[/tex]
    [tex]d = \frac{2v_0 + at}{2}t[/tex]
    [tex]d = v_0t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

For the second equation...it just a lot of manipulation of the equation above and a substitution of the definition of accleration.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?