1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help integrating

1. Mar 6, 2008 #1
    how do you integrate [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=4x-2y[/tex].

I don't know if this is right, but this is where I'm going with this:

[tex]y'=4x-2y[/tex]

[tex]y'+2y=4x[/tex]

Solving homogeneous for complementary solution:
    [tex]y'+2y=0[/tex]

Solving auxiliary equation:
    [tex]m+2=0[/tex]
    [tex]m=-2[/tex]

Which gives
    [tex]y=c_{1}e^{-2x}[/tex]
    [tex]y'=-2c_{1}e^{-2x}[/tex]

Now solving original D.E.: [tex]y'+2y=4x[/tex]

[tex]-2c_{1}e^{-2x}+2(c_{1}e^{-2x})=4x[/tex]

I'm lost at this step.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You should be! You found y= e-2x as a solution to the equation y'+ 2y= 0. It can't possibly give 4x!

I suspect you are thinking of a looking for a solution of the form y(x)= u(x)e-2x where u is an unknown function of x. Then y'= -2ue-2x+ u' e-2x so y'+ 2y= -2ue-2x+ 2u' e-2x+ 2ue2x= 2u' e-2x= 4x. The part not involving u' cancels precisely because e-2x satisfies the equation= 0. Now u'= 4xe2x. You can use integration by parts to find u and put it back into y= u e2x to find y.

Another method, simpler here, is the "method of undetermined coefficients": Since the derivative of 4x will give a constant that will have to be cancelled, try y= Ax+ B. Then y'= A so y'+ 2y= A+ (Ax+ B)= Ax+ (A+ B)= 4x+ 0. For that to be true for all x, you must have "corresponding coefficients" equal: A= 4 and A+ B= 0.

4. Mar 9, 2008 #3
    It is a linear inseparable diff. equation, so find the integrating factor, e^(2x), multiply by the integrating factor, and solve, and you get y=2x-1 +c*e^(-2x)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?