1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help integratinggg

1. Jul 28, 2008 #1
    Need help solving the definite integral from 0<x<2 ||t,t^2||dt ( || = the norm of.)

so it really is

int. (t^2, t^4)^(1/2)

please and thank you.. i dont know why i cant get this.. but hellp pleaseee
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You must show work done/attempt to solution before we help you.

Also can you provide more info here, x is from 0 to 2, but your variable of integration is t.. And what is "int. (t^2, t^4)^(1/2)" ?
  4. Jul 28, 2008 #3
    im sorry, t is from 0 to 2, used to writing x.. doesnt really matter what the variable is tho..

int. (t^2, t^4)^(1/2) is just stating the integral of that function... hence "int." for INTegral

what i have gotten for an answer the first time attempted i used U substitution pulling out a t^2 leaving me with t^2(1+t^2) which is wrong.. because this question was on an exam and he marked an x on that part.. i dont konw how to proceed from there
  5. Jul 28, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So the problem is to integrate (t^2+t^4)^(1/2). That's ((t^2)*(t^2+1))^(1/2)=t*(t^2+1)^(1/2). What comes to mind as a u substitution?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?