Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need help integratinggg

1. Jul 28, 2008 #1
    Need help solving the definite integral from 0<x<2 ||t,t^2||dt ( || = the norm of.)

so it really is

int. (t^2, t^4)^(1/2)

please and thank you.. i dont know why i cant get this.. but hellp pleaseee

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You must show work done/attempt to solution before we help you.

Also can you provide more info here, x is from 0 to 2, but your variable of integration is t.. And what is "int. (t^2, t^4)^(1/2)" ?

4. Jul 28, 2008 #3
    im sorry, t is from 0 to 2, used to writing x.. doesnt really matter what the variable is tho..

int. (t^2, t^4)^(1/2) is just stating the integral of that function... hence "int." for INTegral

what i have gotten for an answer the first time attempted i used U substitution pulling out a t^2 leaving me with t^2(1+t^2) which is wrong.. because this question was on an exam and he marked an x on that part.. i dont konw how to proceed from there

5. Jul 28, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So the problem is to integrate (t^2+t^4)^(1/2). That's ((t^2)*(t^2+1))^(1/2)=t*(t^2+1)^(1/2). What comes to mind as a u substitution?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook