Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help locating pulsar CP1133

1. Nov 9, 2004 #1
    I'm still trying to locate a particular pulsar which had (in 1972) the original designation CP1133. :confused:

Does anyone here happen to have a catalog or reference which will allow me to find which pulsar (or the current designation & info on such pulsar) that had an original (early 1970's) designation as CP1133 ?

This pulsar had a radio period of about 1 hertz; specifically 1.1879 sec.
    I believe it was relatively close to earth.

Thanks,

Creator

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2004 #2
  4. Nov 10, 2004 #3
    Much Thanks Meteor! I had no idea that Sten Odenwald had 'my' pulsar by some coincidence in his book. (How'd you ever come up with that cross-reference?) In the mean time I had also received an e-mail from a NASA site manager identifying it as PSR1133+16 from a search he did on the internet catalog 'Simbad'. However, Simbad seems so complex you'd need to take a six month course :surprised ( exagerating :wink: ) just to figure how to do a search for other physical parameters. You have supplied a pertinent one , distance... 130 parsecs.
    However, I'd like to get any other particulars that may be available.
    Thanks again.

Creator :smile:

"Honk if you like peace and quiet"

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  5. Nov 10, 2004 #4
    OK, now that I have the correct designation, I was able to find some further references on papers concerning PSR1133+16's single pulse characteristics, (from the Astophysical Journal,etc.); interesting. :cool:
    Creator

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?