1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help ly

1. Mar 22, 2008 #1
    Question ...

i have problem with these 2 questions.i been cracking my head the whole day about this/ anyone please help. please write down the steps for me if possible. thanks a lot in advance.

1) 0.25 kg of combustion gas in a diesel engine cylinder is at temperature of 727°C. The gas expands at constant pressure until its volume is 1.8 times its original value. For the combustion gas, R = 0.302 kJ/kgK and Cp = 1.09 kJ/kgK. Find the following:
    a) temperature of the gas after expansion
    b) heat transferred
    c) work transferred

2) A quantity of gas has an initial pressure and volume of 0.1 MN/m2 and 0.1 m3, respectively. It is compressed to a final pressure of 1.4 MN/m2 according to the law pV1'26 = constant. Determine the final volume of the gas.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi Junec & welcome to PF,

What have you attempted thus far?
  4. Mar 22, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

a)If you know it expands at constant pressure....What does that mean for Volume and Temperature? (Check what Charles's law says about it)
    b)What is the definition of [itex]C_p[/itex]?
    c) Do you know a formula for finding the Work done by a gas when it expands its volume at a constant pressure?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?