1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help (MB/s question)

1. Jan 11, 2008 #1
    I don't think this should be hard, but it is to me for some reason.

Ok, I want to know how many MB per second my USB flash drives are writing. I wrote 723MB to each drive and timed it with a stopwatch.

first drive took 7 mins 31 seconds
    second drive took 3 mins 18 seconds
    third drive took 8 mins 51 seconds

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2008 #2
    I know it takes a few seconds to initialize when a file is started, since it has to use memory caching and such. You can calculate an average over time by MB / T. Where MB is the Megabytes, and T is the time.

A better way would be to time the MB transferred at certain time intervals. Like every 5 seconds. Then you'd get a graph. You'll probably find as time goes on it gets faster.

It sounds like your differences may be due to USB 1 vs USB 2 flash drives.

4. Jan 11, 2008 #3
    Actually, all three of these drives are newer and utilize USB 2.0 tech (my motherboard also supports 2.0). However, two of them use dual-channel technology (first and second drive) and the other doesn't.

From the manufacturer specs, the first drive claims a write speed of 14-15MB/s, the second drive claims 17MB/s, and the third actually claims up to 20MB/s. I guess it's the dual-channel that is making the first two drives faster. I know your southbridge can make a big difference in how fast a flash drive will perform because that's where the USB controller is located so I tested all of the drives on the same motherboard. I've been told by a tech representative of one of my drives that the size of the drive also makes a difference, with the smaller capacity drives performing faster than the larger. He said the difference would be no more than 1MB/s. The first drive is 2GB and the other two are both 1GB.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?