Master Final Physics Exam: Solving Problems from Chapter 8 with Expert Help"

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help for their final physics exam in General Physics 1. They are struggling with problems from chapter 8 and are asking for assistance. The examples given involve blocks, springs, and collisions, and the concept of conservation of momentum is mentioned as a helpful hint.
grizzy225
Need help for Final Physics Exam. Gen Physics 1?
I was given a bunch of problems from out of my book. I've cruised through most but chapter 8 is giving me a real hard time. Here are some examples from the chapter, any help with these type problems would be great.

1. Block A has mass 1.00kg, and block B has mass 3.00kg. The blocks are forced together, compressing a spring S between them; then the system is released from rest on a level frictionless surface. The spring, which has a negligible mass, is not fastened to either block and drops to the surface after it has expanded. Block B acquires a speed of 1.20 m/s. (a) What is the final speed of block A? (b) How much potential energy was stored in the compressed spring?

2. A 15.0 kg block is attached to a very light horizontal spring of force constant 500.0 N/m and is resting on a frictionless horizontal table. Suddenly it is struck by a 3.00kg stone traveling horizontally at 8.00 m/s to the right, whereupon the stone rebounds at 2.00 m/s horizontally to the left. Find the maximum distance that the block will compress the spring after the collision.

3. A rifle bullet with mass 8.00g strikes and embeds itself in a block with a mass of 0.992kg that rests on a frictionless, horizontal surface and is attached to a coil spring. The impact compresses the spring 15.0cm. Calibration of the spring shows that a force of 0.750 N is required to compress the spring 0.250 cm. (a) Find the magnitude of the block's velocity just after impact. (b) What was the initial speed of the bullet?

Physics news on Phys.org
grizzy225 said:
Need help for Final Physics Exam. Gen Physics 1?
I was given a bunch of problems from out of my book. I've cruised through most but chapter 8 is giving me a real hard time. Here are some examples from the chapter, any help with these type problems would be great.

1. Block A has mass 1.00kg, and block B has mass 3.00kg. The blocks are forced together, compressing a spring S between them; then the system is released from rest on a level frictionless surface. The spring, which has a negligible mass, is not fastened to either block and drops to the surface after it has expanded. Block B acquires a speed of 1.20 m/s. (a) What is the final speed of block A? (b) How much potential energy was stored in the compressed spring?

2. A 15.0 kg block is attached to a very light horizontal spring of force constant 500.0 N/m and is resting on a frictionless horizontal table. Suddenly it is struck by a 3.00kg stone traveling horizontally at 8.00 m/s to the right, whereupon the stone rebounds at 2.00 m/s horizontally to the left. Find the maximum distance that the block will compress the spring after the collision.

3. A rifle bullet with mass 8.00g strikes and embeds itself in a block with a mass of 0.992kg that rests on a frictionless, horizontal surface and is attached to a coil spring. The impact compresses the spring 15.0cm. Calibration of the spring shows that a force of 0.750 N is required to compress the spring 0.250 cm. (a) Find the magnitude of the block's velocity just after impact. (b) What was the initial speed of the bullet?

What have you tried on these problems up to this point?

One thing I can help you with is to point out that momentum will be conserved in each problem - whatever you start with will be equal to what you finish with since there are no sources of loss (e.g., friction).

I would recommend seeking help from an expert in physics to assist you with these problems. It is important to fully understand the concepts and principles behind each problem in order to successfully solve them. You can also review your notes and textbook to reinforce your understanding of the material. Additionally, practicing similar problems and discussing them with classmates can also be helpful. Remember to approach each problem systematically and carefully, breaking it down into smaller parts if necessary. Good luck on your final exam!

1. What is momentum and why is it important?

Momentum is a physics concept that refers to the quantity of motion an object has. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. Momentum is important because it helps us understand how objects move, and it is conserved in a closed system, meaning that it remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

2. Why might someone need help with understanding momentum?

Momentum can be a difficult concept to grasp, especially for those who are new to physics. It requires a solid understanding of other basic concepts such as mass, velocity, and force. Additionally, momentum can be applied to different scenarios and can involve vector calculations, making it a complex topic for some individuals.

3. How is momentum related to Newton's Laws of Motion?

Momentum is closely related to Newton's Laws of Motion, specifically the First and Second Laws. The First Law states that an object will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force. This is directly related to the conservation of momentum, as an object's momentum will remain constant unless acted upon by an external force. The Second Law, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration, is also related to momentum as it is a factor in calculating an object's momentum.

4. What are some real-life examples of momentum?

Some examples of momentum in everyday life include a moving car, a rolling ball, and a swinging pendulum. In each of these examples, the objects have both mass and velocity, resulting in momentum. Another example is a person riding a bike, as their mass and velocity contribute to their momentum.

5. What can I do if I lost my momentum in a project or task?

If you feel like you have lost momentum in a project or task, there are a few things you can do to get it back. First, try to identify what caused you to lose momentum and address that issue. It could be a lack of motivation, distractions, or a difficult problem. Once you have identified the problem, make a plan to address it and get back on track. Additionally, taking breaks and setting smaller, achievable goals can help maintain momentum and prevent burnout.