Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help mounting a wheel

1. Mar 21, 2013 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2013 #2

etudiant

Gold Member

A wheel from a go cart or similar would fill the bill. Any junkyards in your area?

4. Mar 21, 2013 #3
    I don't really know what you mean. I need a plate that can handle 700-800 RPMs. I already have the wheel, just need to find a way to mount it.

5. Mar 21, 2013 #4

etudiant

Gold Member

Car or go cart wheels usually come attached to a bearing that would serve your RPM requirements. You are quite right that a lazy susan bearing will not work for you.
    The bottom bracket of a bicycle might work, the bearings are decent, although 700 rpm is several times more than they designed for as well. However, there is a through shaft, allowing for the motor and the wheel to be easily mounted.

6. Mar 22, 2013 #5
    We need a better description of what you are trying to achieve. A drawing is preferred.

7. Mar 22, 2013 #6
    I have a motor with a 1/2" shaft with a "D" shape. I am trying to drive a 30cm wheel with this motor. I need a revolving swivel plate like this - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/6-5-...re-hardware-barstool-turntable/550860671.html - that will hold the wheel. It needs to handle 700-800 RPMs. The motor shaft will go into the wheel on top and drive it.

I will post a drawing once I am off work. I need to know what kind of adapters I need for the shaft and wheel so the drive shaft doesn't shear the wheel at the point of attachment.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook