Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help mounting a wheel

1. Mar 21, 2013 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2013 #2

etudiant

Gold Member

A wheel from a go cart or similar would fill the bill. Any junkyards in your area?

4. Mar 21, 2013 #3
    I don't really know what you mean. I need a plate that can handle 700-800 RPMs. I already have the wheel, just need to find a way to mount it.

5. Mar 21, 2013 #4

etudiant

Gold Member

Car or go cart wheels usually come attached to a bearing that would serve your RPM requirements. You are quite right that a lazy susan bearing will not work for you.
    The bottom bracket of a bicycle might work, the bearings are decent, although 700 rpm is several times more than they designed for as well. However, there is a through shaft, allowing for the motor and the wheel to be easily mounted.

6. Mar 22, 2013 #5
    We need a better description of what you are trying to achieve. A drawing is preferred.

7. Mar 22, 2013 #6
    I have a motor with a 1/2" shaft with a "D" shape. I am trying to drive a 30cm wheel with this motor. I need a revolving swivel plate like this - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/6-5-...re-hardware-barstool-turntable/550860671.html - that will hold the wheel. It needs to handle 700-800 RPMs. The motor shaft will go into the wheel on top and drive it.

I will post a drawing once I am off work. I need to know what kind of adapters I need for the shaft and wheel so the drive shaft doesn't shear the wheel at the point of attachment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook