1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Help NAmimg-Organic Chemistry

1. Sep 18, 2006 #1
    i really dont know where to start on this one. I know the main chain is nonane. The branch looks like isopropyl with a methy on it. However i dont think thats the right answer. All help is greatly apreciated!!!!
    [​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2006 #2

t!m

Have you learned how to name complex branches (sub-branching)? The carbon attached to the chain is by definition, atom 1, for the branch. Then you name the branch like it's a compound, but then change the -ane to -yl. Put the whole thing in parentheses, and now it's a substituent.

4. Sep 18, 2006 #3
    I would guess 5-1,2 MethylPropa-nonane, but im not sure

I know the branch is 1,2-MethylPropane.

I would write it as follows:
    [tex]CH_3(CH_2)_3C(R)(CH_2)_3CH_3[/tex]

5-R-Nonane. ( i think there is an alternative name, but ive definatley used Nonane before.

[tex]R=CH_3(CH)_2(CH_3)_2[/tex]

1,2-Methyl-Propane

So combining the two, 5-1,2-MethylPropa-nonane, is my best guess :s

EDIT: THat should be 1,2-DimethylPropane branch, making it 4-1,2-DiMethylPropyl-nonane

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  5. Sep 18, 2006 #4
    well i guess the answer would be 4 -(2,3 di methyl) butyl nonane

6. Sep 19, 2006 #5
    apparently the above answers arent corect. ANyone else klnow if that chain is some special group with its own name?

7. Sep 19, 2006 #6
    no that branched group does not have a 'common' name - you would use normal IUPAC nomenclature
    5-(1,2 dimethyl)propyl - nonane

8. Sep 19, 2006 #7
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?