Need Help NAmimg-Organic Chemistry

• Thread starter skull
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the experts state that the branch in question is 1,2-MethylPropane, also known as 5-1,2-DiMethylPropyl-Nonane according to IUPAC nomenclature. It does not have a common name and can be found by searching its empirical formula in a chemical catalogue.
skull
i really don't know where to start on this one. I know the main chain is nonane. The branch looks like isopropyl with a methy on it. However i don't think that's the right answer. All help is greatly apreciated!
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/1273/chemsk0.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned how to name complex branches (sub-branching)? The carbon attached to the chain is by definition, atom 1, for the branch. Then you name the branch like it's a compound, but then change the -ane to -yl. Put the whole thing in parentheses, and now it's a substituent.

I would guess 5-1,2 MethylPropa-nonane, but I am not sure

I know the branch is 1,2-MethylPropane.

I would write it as follows:
[tex]CH_3(CH_2)_3C(R)(CH_2)_3CH_3[/tex]

5-R-Nonane. ( i think there is an alternative name, but I've definatley used Nonane before.

[tex]R=CH_3(CH)_2(CH_3)_2[/tex]

1,2-Methyl-Propane

So combining the two, 5-1,2-MethylPropa-nonane, is my best guess :s

EDIT: THat should be 1,2-DimethylPropane branch, making it 4-1,2-DiMethylPropyl-nonane

Last edited:
well i guess the answer would be 4 -(2,3 di methyl) butyl nonane

apparently the above answers arent corect. ANyone else klnow if that chain is some special group with its own name?

no that branched group does not have a 'common' name - you would use normal IUPAC nomenclature
5-(1,2 dimethyl)propyl - nonane

It is 5-1,2-DiMethylPropyl-Nonane:

Top of page 75: http://www.iupac.org/publications/books/principles/principles_of_nomenclature.pdf#search=%224-1%2C2-dimethylpropyl-nonane%22 [Broken]

You can prob just type the empirical formula into a chemical catalogue and slect the one you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is organic chemistry?

Organic chemistry is the study of carbon-based compounds, including their structure, properties, and reactions. It is a branch of chemistry that focuses on the chemistry of living organisms and their molecules.

2. What are the rules for naming organic compounds?

The rules for naming organic compounds are based on the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) system. The basic rules include: identifying the longest carbon chain, numbering the carbons in the chain, and adding prefixes and suffixes to indicate the functional groups present.

3. How do I name a complex organic compound?

Naming a complex organic compound can be done by breaking it down into smaller, simpler parts and following the rules for naming each part. This includes identifying any functional groups, numbering the carbons, and applying prefixes and suffixes.

4. What are the common mistakes made when naming organic compounds?

Some common mistakes when naming organic compounds include: not correctly identifying the longest carbon chain, not numbering the carbons correctly, and not including all functional groups in the name. It is important to carefully follow the IUPAC rules to avoid these mistakes.

5. Is there a specific order to follow when naming organic compounds?

Yes, there is a specific order to follow when naming organic compounds. The steps include: identifying the longest carbon chain, numbering the carbons, identifying and naming any functional groups, and adding prefixes and suffixes to indicate the type and position of the functional groups.