Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need Help NAmimg-Organic Chemistry

1. Sep 18, 2006 #1
    i really dont know where to start on this one. I know the main chain is nonane. The branch looks like isopropyl with a methy on it. However i dont think thats the right answer. All help is greatly apreciated!!!!
    http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/1273/chemsk0.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2006 #2

t!m

Have you learned how to name complex branches (sub-branching)? The carbon attached to the chain is by definition, atom 1, for the branch. Then you name the branch like it's a compound, but then change the -ane to -yl. Put the whole thing in parentheses, and now it's a substituent.

4. Sep 18, 2006 #3
    I would guess 5-1,2 MethylPropa-nonane, but im not sure

I know the branch is 1,2-MethylPropane.

I would write it as follows:
    [tex]CH_3(CH_2)_3C(R)(CH_2)_3CH_3[/tex]

5-R-Nonane. ( i think there is an alternative name, but ive definatley used Nonane before.

[tex]R=CH_3(CH)_2(CH_3)_2[/tex]

1,2-Methyl-Propane

So combining the two, 5-1,2-MethylPropa-nonane, is my best guess :s

EDIT: THat should be 1,2-DimethylPropane branch, making it 4-1,2-DiMethylPropyl-nonane

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  5. Sep 18, 2006 #4
    well i guess the answer would be 4 -(2,3 di methyl) butyl nonane

6. Sep 19, 2006 #5
    apparently the above answers arent corect. ANyone else klnow if that chain is some special group with its own name?

7. Sep 19, 2006 #6
    no that branched group does not have a 'common' name - you would use normal IUPAC nomenclature
    5-(1,2 dimethyl)propyl - nonane

8. Sep 19, 2006 #7
    It is 5-1,2-DiMethylPropyl-Nonane:

Top of page 75: http://www.iupac.org/publications/books/principles/principles_of_nomenclature.pdf#search=%224-1%2C2-dimethylpropyl-nonane%22 [Broken]

You can prob just type the empirical formula into a chemical catalogue and slect the one you want.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook