Why Is There a Reaction Force in the Upper Pulley but Not in System 1?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving two systems of masses connected by pulleys and strings. The question is about the difference in reaction forces between the two systems and how the lower pulley affects this. The conversation also mentions confusion about treating the pulleys as objects and the role of tension in the system.
jeremy222

Homework Statement

m(1) is 20kg
m(2) is 30kg
gravity use 10
U static is .6
u kinetic is .4

Homework Equations

Basically my professor gave the answer to the question in the link along with the picture. The only problem is that i am not sure he did case three right and i am after spending hoursl ooking at it i am not sure why there is a reaction force in the upper pulley and not in system 1. I am confused about how the systems are different and how that changes my answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i already had the answer with me so i just kept doing and trying to get the same answer but although i managed to get case 1 and 2 i don't know fi i should treat the pulleys as object or whatever else is necessary for the second system.

Attachments

• a physics problem.doc
    70 KB · Views: 277
Physics news on Phys.org
jeremy222 said:

Homework Statement

m(1) is 20kg
m(2) is 30kg
gravity use 10
U static is .6
u kinetic is .4

Homework Equations

Basically my professor gave the answer to the question in the link along with the picture. The only problem is that i am not sure he did case three right and i am after spending hoursl ooking at it i am not sure why there is a reaction force in the upper pulley and not in system 1. I am confused about how the systems are different and how that changes my answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i already had the answer with me so i just kept doing and trying to get the same answer but although i managed to get case 1 and 2 i don't know fi i should treat the pulleys as object or whatever else is necessary for the second system.

I too was concerned with talk of reaction force from the upper pulley.

It looked to me that the vertical string would reduce the reaction force force between the big block and the ground, making it easier to move? (due to things happening at the LOWER pulley)

But how does the lower pulley effect everything else? I did a free body for the lower one but i don't know how that would concern the upper pulley

jeremy222 said:
But how does the lower pulley effect everything else? I did a free body for the lower one but i don't know how that would concern the upper pulley

In Option B, there are two cords going up from the lower pulley, but only one thread going down from the upper pulley. Once you provide tension in the cord that indicates twice the upward force compared to the downward force [just considering effects of Tension] so I expect a net lifting force equal to the Tension.

With no tension, the (upward) Reaction Force will be equal to the (downward0 weight force of the two blocks.

With Tension, the sum of the (upward) Tension and Reaction force should equal the (downward) weight force, so the Normal force would be reduced?

As a scientist, my recommendation would be to clarify any confusion with your professor and ask for further explanation on the problem. Understanding the concepts and principles behind the problem is crucial in solving it correctly. Additionally, you can also seek help from peers or online resources to gain a better understanding of the problem and its solution. It is important to approach the problem systematically and accurately, rather than just trying to get the same answer without fully understanding the process.

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or cord passing over it. It is used to change the direction of a force and make it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

What is the difference between a fixed and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a structure and does not move, while a movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted and moves along with it. Fixed pulleys change the direction of the force, while movable pulleys also reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object.

How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is equal to the number of supporting ropes or segments of rope that support the load. For example, a system with 4 ropes supporting the load has a mechanical advantage of 4.

What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulleys have a fixed axle and only change the direction of the force. Movable pulleys have a movable axle and also reduce the amount of force needed. Compound pulleys combine fixed and movable pulleys to create a mechanical advantage.

How can I solve a difficult pulley problem?

To solve a difficult pulley problem, you can use the principles of mechanical advantage and conservation of energy. First, identify the type of pulley system and calculate the mechanical advantage. Then, use the equation W = Fd to determine the work done by the force and the distance the object is lifted. Finally, use the principle of conservation of energy to equate the work done to the potential energy gained by the object.