1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help on a DIY project

1. Dec 28, 2015 #1
    I am building a mini water pump out of a 3L plastic container, a 6V mini motor, 12 inch straws, a cut up CD for a cover (in the pic it is what is between the fan and straw), and bits of a soda can to make up a fan for the motor. Problem is when I tested the product, not enough water/air is coming out of the straws I am not quite sure I am using the right motor to help pull up the water, the distance of the straws, or the thickness of the fan. There may be more factors to consider, but I am not quite sure. Any help will be very appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

How do you prime your pump arrangement?

4. Dec 30, 2015 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can I check how it is meant to work? Is the idea that the fan blows air into the bottle and you want the increased pressure to push water up the straw? If so then I suspect the problem is the pressure that the fan can generate. Even quite large computer fans only manage to generate a pressure equivalent to a few mm of water...

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/air-se...ce-edition-high-static-pressure-fan-twin-pack

5. Dec 30, 2015 #4
    Nevermind I changed the position of the pump of where it is suppose to be so it would have more leverage of pumping more water.

6. Dec 30, 2015 #5
    Yeah I kind of figured that one out quick, that is why I am going to put the pump in the water and arrange the straw to be attached on the side where the fan is. You can look up models like them on youtube "How to make a mini water pump"

7. Dec 30, 2015 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK so it doesn't blow air into the bottle.

8. Jan 2, 2016 #7
    I changed the design of the motor, and instead water is suppose to go through the top lid and water will be coming out from the side. I figured out the problem already and that was the fan being attached to the motor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook