1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help on a partial derivative problem!

1. Apr 27, 2005 #1

Find the second-order partial derivatives of the given function. In each case, show that the mixed partial derivatives [tex]f_{xy}[/tex] and [tex]f_{yx}[/tex] are equal.

My work (Correct me if I am wrong):

If I am correct, which I am probably not, how could [tex]f_{xy}[/tex] possibly be equal to [tex]f_{yx}[/tex]? Shouldn't that always be true anyways? If that's so, then obviously I messed up somewhere. Please help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2005 #2
    How did you find those mixed partials? You seem to have done the exact same thing to find [itex]f_{xy}[/itex] as you did for [itex]f_{xx}[/itex] (and the same for [itex]yy[/itex] and [itex]yx[/itex]). I think if you check your work over, you'll see that you differentiated wrt the wrong variables a couple of times :wink:
  4. Apr 27, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use Jacobi's notation for partial derivatives.It will leave no room for any confusion once u realize the order of differentiation.And if u use Lagrange's one,do it properly

[tex] \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\equiv f'_{x} [/tex]

5. Apr 27, 2005 #4
    Nothing wrong with notation evolving. I've never seen notation like [itex]f^\prime_x[/itex], though.
  6. Apr 27, 2005 #5
    Did I atleast get the first partial derivatives correct?
  7. Apr 27, 2005 #6
    Your second partials are wrt to the wrong variables

[tex] f_{xy} [/tex] means differentiate [itex] f_x [/itex] with respect to y.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?