1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help on a simple question-phase transfer

1. Dec 9, 2005 #1
    question:
    How much energy in kilojoules is required to convert 10.0 g of ice at -108 to water vapor at 1108°C? Specific heats are 2.09 J/g K for both ice and water vapor, and 4.18 J/g K for liquid water. Heats of vaporization and fusion are 2260 and 335 J/g.

This is what I did:
    10g*108C*2.09J/g K + 10g * 335J/g + 10g*100C * 4.18 J/g K + 10g * 2260 J/g + 1008C * 10g * 2.09 J/g K= 50434.4 J =50.43 kJ

This question is a multiple choice, and there is no such choice, so this answer must be wrong. Unfortunately, I really don't know what is wrong with that.

I only the total energy is equal to the heat required to change the -108c ice to 0 C; then plus the energy require to melt the ice and then so far and so on....

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2005 #2
    Well, i find your answers convincing though I have not claculated exactly. yo have missed no equation.

4. Dec 9, 2005 #3
    I don't think I missed any equation,(maybe there are, but I really can not think of one), and there is no mistake in the calculation.

5. Dec 9, 2005 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You'll want to "check" this value. Either the problem statement included incorrect information, or you've misread something somewhere.

6. Dec 9, 2005 #5
    i check it, there is nothing wrong.
    so... i think there is something wrong in the question.
    I choose the closest answer which is 30 somthing, and that is correct....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?