1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help on circle/triangle question

1. Oct 30, 2008 #1
    Question 4 on page 12.

Could someone give me some hints on how to do this? I have no idea how. All I know is that we could draw a line from the center of the circle to Q, which I think would be perpendicular to that tangent. Also if we draw a horizontal line from the center of the circle to the tangent, the angle between them will be theta.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So you have a circle with center at (1,1), radius 1, and a line tangent to it at Q making angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the x-axis. The angle [itex]\theta[/itex], as shown, is actually with the "backward pointing" x-axis. The angle with positive x-axis, the one used in defining the slope of a line is [itex]\pi- \theta[/itex]. Since [/itex]tan(\pi- \theta)= - tan(\theta)[/itex], the slope of the tangent line is [itex]-tan(\theta)[/itex] (oops- that was one of the things you were supposed to prove!).
    Of course, the radius of the circle, from (1, 1) to Q, is perpendicular to the tangent line. Let Q= (x,y). Then the line from (1,1) to Q has slope (x-1)/(y-1) which must be the negative reciprocal of [itex]-tan(\theta)[/itex] which is [itex]cot(\theta)[/itex]. The equations
    [tex]\frac{y-1}{x-1}= \frac{cos(\theta)}{sin(\theta)}[/tex]
    [tex]x^2+ y^2= 1[/tex]
    should give you what you need.
  4. Oct 31, 2008 #3
    Thanks. I managed to do that part. Are the co-ordinates of P

P [itex] (1 + \csc \theta + \cot \theta, 0)[/itex]?

I can't do part (ii). For the explanation I'm unsure. All I know is that angle PRO (in the B area) is [itex]\frac{\pi}{2} - \theta[/itex].

I got [itex]A(\frac{\pi}{4}) = 1 + \sqrt2 -\frac{3\pi}{8}[/itex]. Is that correct?
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?