Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help on deciding which PhD to take

1. Aug 21, 2009 #1
    Hello everyone,

I am torn amongst a few choices on a PhD. Also, I lack knowledge in nanotechnology and engineering and so would appreciate your insights.

Firstly, my qualifications and inclinations:

school and a level: out of all the sciences, scored best for maths and physics
    undergrad degree : genetics (didn't like it, results were ok, but did well at labwork)
    masters : nanotechnology (very general degree. absolutely loved it. Part of the project was materials science-based; concentrated more on theory than practical but loved it).

I have several choices for a PhD:

1. Accepted into a UK uni to do: nanoparticle synthesis/fabrication, modelling/simulation, optics and ultrasonics.

- not good at simulation. Would love to do nanoparticle fabrication. Very intrigued by optics and ultrasonics.

- However, thought funding would be fine. But now, would need to get a loan or scholarship from one or more organizations.

2. A math, SEM and perhaps nanometallurgy project.

- During Masters, was fascinated by the SEM. Loved math at school and college. During masters, wished that I could do more on materials engineering. Would have loved to have more hands-on on engineering technologies.

- Supervisor is quite well-established. But uni is under-funded and under-equipped. Would have to do parts of my project at other local unis.

- May get a chance to do part of my PhD overseas, which is good.

- I would be assisted with getting funding, if I decide to do this.

- Was advised that it would be a hard road as I have little to no background. It is also a big commitment. A PhD is notoriously challenging.

- Literature and online resources are known to be a challenge. As I lack the fundamentals, I would need all I can get.

- Would the challenges of learning a new thing, on top of the challenges of a PhD and a newly set-up uni be too much?

3. Stick to the field that is suited to my degrees. Apply for bionanotechnology PhDs scholarships.

- Biology is not my thing, but it's safe. I may or may not get to gain experience with engineering tools. May be able to do some imaging.

- A few supervisors in a Singapore uni are interested in me.

- Not guaranteed a place i.e. scholarship. My undergrad results are not good and I've not published any papers. Scholarships are obviously very competitive.

- The PhDs will all commence late next year. PhD choices 1 and 2 are available now.

- Have never worked in Singapore and do not know how it may be like.

As you can see, I've had just a taste of nanotech and would like more, but is a PhD too much? If I were to go into an engineering degree, how would my overall qualification be viewed? What are the prospects for 1 and 2 in nanotech? If I were to do nanometallurgy, can I branch into say, semiconductors?

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
    j1801

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted