Exploring Aerospace Career Options with a Mechanical Engineering Degree

• Programs
  • Thread starter maple127
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree Path
In summary, a high school student planning for college is interested in pursuing a career in the aerospace field. However, their dream school does not offer an Aerospace Engineering degree. They are considering specializing in thermodynamics and aerodynamics in the Mechanical Engineering program and possibly obtaining a masters in aerospace engineering later on. They are seeking advice on whether or not this is a viable path towards their desired career and what their chances of success would be.
maple127
Hello forum.

I am currently a high school student, and I am planning out which college I will go to, as well as my degree I want to pursue. I am very interested in getting a job in the aerospace field. I recently took a tour of my dream school, and there was really nothing about it that I didn't like! Except for one thing... It has no Aerospace Engineering degree. This school is known for its engineering programs, and it does offer a great Mechanical Engineering program. In this program, I can specialize in areas such as thermodynamics and aerodynamics, two key areas of aerospace engineering.

In my area, there are very few schools offering the specific degree I wand, and all of them are very expensive and very inconvenient. I was wondering if I could still get a job in the field that I wish to enter with a mechanical engineering degree. For one, this would also open up many ore fallback jobs in case I have trouble with that. Another thought that I had was perhaps going on to get my masters in aerospace engineering afterwards.

I have been told by several people that this is the path that I should take, but I wanted some help from this forum. What does everyone think that I should do?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think my chances of success would be if I took this route? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

1. What degree path should I choose?

Choosing a degree path can be overwhelming, but it's important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. Research different degree options and speak with academic advisors to make an informed decision.

2. How long will it take to complete my degree?

The length of time to complete a degree depends on several factors, such as the type of degree, program requirements, and your course load. Generally, a bachelor's degree takes four years, a master's degree takes two years, and a doctoral degree takes four to six years.

3. Can I change my degree path?

Yes, it is possible to change your degree path. However, it's important to consider the potential impact on your graduation timeline and course requirements. Speak with academic advisors to discuss your options and create a plan to successfully change your degree path.

4. What are the job prospects for this degree?

It's important to research and understand the job prospects for your chosen degree. Look at job market trends and speak with career advisors to gain insight on potential job opportunities and career paths after graduation.

5. How can I ensure I am on the right track to completing my degree?

Regularly meeting with academic advisors and reviewing your degree requirements can help ensure you are on track to completing your degree. Additionally, staying organized and creating a plan for your course schedule can help you stay on track and graduate on time.