Need help on Electrical Field problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the magnitude and direction of the electric field at the location of charge q, which is located at the corners of a square of side a. The conversation also discusses the resultant force on q, which can be found by resolving the electric field into its x and y components and using the equation F=qE.
andrew410
Four charges are at the corners of a square of side a as show in the figure. a) Determine the magnitude and direction of the electric field at the location of charge q. b) What is the resultant force on q?
Code:
[PLAIN]http://east.ilrn.com/graphing/bca/user/appletImage?dbid=1131113015
[/PLAIN]

I made E1 equal the electric field of 2q and q. I made E2 equal the electric field of 3q and q. I made E3 equal the electric field of 4q and q. So, when I wrote out the vector notations of each electric field, I got:
[tex] E_{1} = k_{e} \frac {2q} {a^2} \hat {i} [/tex]
[tex] E_{3} = k_{e} \frac {4q} {a^2} \hat {j} [/tex]
[tex] E_{2} = k_{e} \frac {3q} {a^2} [/tex]
How would u break down E2 into x and y components?

Also, after getting E1, E2, and E3, E = E1 + E2 + E3. So, you add all the vectors up and a x and y component. Next, magnitude of E = square root of x component squared plus y component squared. The angle is tan of y component over x component.

Did I do it right for part A? Any help would be great! thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by "electric field of 2q and q" since you don't give any electric field, just the force between 2q and q. Even for those, I don't see how you got the "2q", "4q", and "3q" in the numerators. The force between two charges depends upon the product of their charges. Assuming that "2q" means the charge is twice that of q, etc. the forces are
[tex] F_{1} = k_{e} \frac {2q^2} {a^2} \hat {i} [/tex]
[tex] F_{2} = k_{e} \frac {3q} {a^2} [/tex]

You also seem missing the fact that the distance between "q" and "3q" is √(2)a, not a.
[tex] F_{3} = k_{e} \frac {2q^2} {2a^2} \hat {j} [/tex]

Those are the magnitudes. Of course F1 has positive x component and 0 y component while F3 has positive y component and 0 x component.

F2 has equal x and y components, equal to the magnitude of F2 above multiplied by 1/√(2).

andrew410 said:
I got:
[tex] E_{1} = k_{e} \frac {2q} {a^2} \hat {i} [/tex]
[tex] E_{3} = k_{e} \frac {4q} {a^2} \hat {j} [/tex]
[tex] E_{2} = k_{e} \frac {3q} {a^2} [/tex]
How would u break down E2 into x and y components?
Your expression for E2 is incorrect. The separation is [itex]\sqrt{2a^2}[/itex]

Resolve E2 into its [itex]\hat{i}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{j}[/itex] components and add to E1 and E3 respectively.That gives you the orthogonal components of the resulting vector. Just work out the direction and magnitude from those components to get the resulting field. Then use [itex]\vec{F} = q\vec{E}[/itex]

AM

thx a lot!

1. What is an electrical field?

An electrical field is a physical field that is created by electrically charged objects. It exerts a force on other charged objects within its vicinity.

2. How do you calculate the strength of an electrical field?

The strength of an electrical field can be calculated by dividing the force exerted on a charged object by the magnitude of the charge. It is typically measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C).

3. What factors affect the strength of an electrical field?

The strength of an electrical field can be affected by the distance between charged objects, the magnitude of the charges, and the medium through which the field is passing.

4. How can an electrical field be visualized?

An electrical field can be visualized using field lines, which represent the direction and strength of the field at different points. The lines are drawn in such a way that they are tangent to the direction of the field at each point.

5. What is the difference between an electric field and a magnetic field?

An electric field is created by electric charges, while a magnetic field is created by moving electric charges. Additionally, an electric field exerts a force on charged objects, while a magnetic field exerts a force on moving charged objects.