1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help on homework

1. Aug 31, 2009 #1
    1. An electron is released from rest in a uniform electric field and accelerates to the north at a rate of 120 m/s2. What are the magnitude and direction of the electric field?

2. f=ma

3. F=(9.11e-31)(120m/s^2)=1.1e-28

2.Two small nonconducting spheres have a total charge of 92.4 µC
    a) when placed 1.00 m apart, the force each exerts on the other is 12.0 N and is repulsive. What is the charge on each? Smaller and Larger
    b)What if the force were attractive?

If anyone could help me that would be great, i just started physics 2 a year after physics 1 so i am having some difficulties. I thought i did the first one right but the computer says i have the wrong answer, and i dont really know where to start on the second. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

So you have the force, now what is the electric field defined as?

the electric force between two point charges, Q1 and Q2, separated by a distance r is given by:

[tex]F=\frac{Q_1 Q_2}{4 \pi \epsilon r^2}[/tex]

You will need this equation and what is in bold

4. Aug 31, 2009 #3

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

In the problem 1, force on the electron F = E*q = m*a where E is th electric field, q is the charge on electron. Now find E.
    In the problem 2, q1 = q and q2 = 92.4 μC - q, if q1 and q1 are positive.
    What should the charges for repulsive force?

5. Sep 1, 2009 #4
    For Number 1 would i just use F=QE where F=1.1e-28, Q=1.6e-19 then solve for E?

6. Sep 1, 2009 #5
    And for Number 2 wont i still have two unknowns, F and q? Sorry im just really lost on this one. thanks

7. Sep 2, 2009 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

From the problem it implies that the attractive or the repulsive force has the same magnitude i.e. 12 N.

8. Sep 2, 2009 #7
    Thanks for the help i got the right answers. Is there an easier way then doing the quadradic equation though? It was a pain carrying all the numbers through

9. Sep 2, 2009 #8

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Since the sum of the charges is given, you cant avoid the quadratic equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook