Electric Field Calculations: Acceleration & Charges - Physics 2 Homework Help

• Thread starter mustang1988
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary: However, to simplify the process, you can use the fact that the charges will have the same magnitude but opposite signs, so you can set up one equation with one variable and solve for that variable. Then use that value to find the other charge.
mustang1988
1. An electron is released from rest in a uniform electric field and accelerates to the north at a rate of 120 m/s2. What are the magnitude and direction of the electric field?

2. f=ma

3. F=(9.11e-31)(120m/s^2)=1.1e-28

2.Two small nonconducting spheres have a total charge of 92.4 µC
a) when placed 1.00 m apart, the force each exerts on the other is 12.0 N and is repulsive. What is the charge on each? Smaller and Larger
b)What if the force were attractive?

If anyone could help me that would be great, i just started physics 2 a year after physics 1 so i am having some difficulties. I thought i did the first one right but the computer says i have the wrong answer, and i don't really know where to start on the second. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
mustang1988 said:
1. An electron is released from rest in a uniform electric field and accelerates to the north at a rate of 120 m/s2. What are the magnitude and direction of the electric field?

2. f=ma

3. F=(9.11e-31)(120m/s^2)=1.1e-28

So you have the force, now what is the electric field defined as?

mustang1988 said:
2.Two small nonconducting spheres have a total charge of 92.4 µC
a) when placed 1.00 m apart, the force each exerts on the other is 12.0 N and is repulsive. What is the charge on each? Smaller and Larger
b)What if the force were attractive?

the electric force between two point charges, Q1 and Q2, separated by a distance r is given by:

[tex]F=\frac{Q_1 Q_2}{4 \pi \epsilon r^2}[/tex]

You will need this equation and what is in bold

In the problem 1, force on the electron F = E*q = m*a where E is th electric field, q is the charge on electron. Now find E.
In the problem 2, q1 = q and q2 = 92.4 μC - q, if q1 and q1 are positive.
What should the charges for repulsive force?

For Number 1 would i just use F=QE where F=1.1e-28, Q=1.6e-19 then solve for E?

And for Number 2 won't i still have two unknowns, F and q? Sorry I am just really lost on this one. thanks

mustang1988 said:
And for Number 2 won't i still have two unknowns, F and q? Sorry I am just really lost on this one. thanks

From the problem it implies that the attractive or the repulsive force has the same magnitude i.e. 12 N.

Thanks for the help i got the right answers. Is there an easier way then doing the quadradic equation though? It was a pain carrying all the numbers through

mustang1988 said:
Thanks for the help i got the right answers. Is there an easier way then doing the quadradic equation though? It was a pain carrying all the numbers through
Since the sum of the charges is given, you can't avoid the quadratic equation.

1. What is the best way to get help on my homework?

The best way to get help on your homework is to reach out to your teacher or professor. They are the ones who assigned the homework and are most familiar with the material. They can provide you with guidance and clarification on any questions you may have.

2. How can I find resources to help me with my homework?

There are many resources available to help you with your homework. You can try searching online for tutorials, videos, or practice problems related to the subject. You can also ask a classmate or friend for help, or visit your school's tutoring center.

3. How do I manage my time effectively to complete homework assignments?

To manage your time effectively, start by creating a study schedule. Prioritize your assignments and set specific blocks of time to work on each one. Avoid distractions and try to work in a quiet and organized environment. Don't forget to take breaks and reward yourself for completing tasks.

4. What should I do if I am struggling with a particular homework assignment?

If you are struggling with a particular homework assignment, don't hesitate to ask for help. Talk to your teacher or a classmate, and try to identify where you are having difficulty. You can also try breaking the assignment into smaller, more manageable chunks and seeking help for each part.

5. Is it okay to ask for help on homework?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help on homework. It shows that you are taking your education seriously and are willing to put in the effort to understand the material. Seeking help can also improve your understanding and lead to better grades on assignments.