Help with Listing Functions w/ Same Range & Diff Domains

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of functions, domains, and ranges. Specifically, the question asked for two different functions with the same range but different domain. After some confusion, it was clarified that the given functions, Y = x/2 and Y = x/2 + 1, do not satisfy the conditions since they have the same domain. The conversation then progressed to discussing the domain and range of a function, with an example given of y= 3x for 0< x< 2.
BruceW~

Homework Statement

question: State two different functions that have same range but different domain. Then tell me what is the range of those two functions.

The attempt at a solution
Y = x/2
Y= x/2 +1

I don't know if that is correct or not. Any suggestion will help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Missing the relevant expressions! What is the domain of a function ?
And what is the range ?

BvU said:
Missing the relevant expressions! What is the domain of a function ?
And what is the range ?
Y = x/2
Y= x/2 +1
Domain will be all real?
Range will be all real too?

This is why I'm confused because they both have all real domain and range, but the question asked two different functions that have same range but different domain

What you write is correct, so these two don't help for the exercise !

Let me ask again:
What (in words) is the domain of a function ?
And what is the range of a function ?

Likes SammyS
BruceW~ said:
Y = x/2
Y= x/2 +1
Domain will be all real?
Range will be all real too?

This is why I'm confused because they both have all real domain and range, but the question asked two different functions that have same range but different domain
Why would that confuse you? You are saying the these functions both have the same domain so they do NOT satisfy the conditions!

So what do you know about "functions", "domains", and "ranges"?

For example, what are the domain and range for "y= 3x for 0< x< 2"?

ok, I get it now. Thank you.
HallsofIvy said:
Why would that confuse you? You are saying the these functions both have the same domain so they do NOT satisfy the conditions!

So what do you know about "functions", "domains", and "ranges"?

For example, what are the domain and range for "y= 3x for 0< x< 2"?

What is the purpose of listing functions with the same range and different domains?

Listing functions with the same range and different domains can help identify patterns and relationships between different functions. It can also be useful in graphing and analyzing data.

What is the definition of a range in mathematics?

In mathematics, the range of a function refers to the set of all possible output values or y-values that the function can produce.

How do you determine if two functions have the same range?

To determine if two functions have the same range, you can compare the possible output values or y-values for each function. If the sets of output values are identical, then the functions have the same range.

What does it mean if two functions have the same range and different domains?

If two functions have the same range and different domains, it means that they produce the same output values for different input values. This can indicate a relationship or pattern between the two functions.

What is the importance of finding functions with the same range and different domains?

Identifying functions with the same range and different domains can help in simplifying complex functions and making them easier to understand. It can also be useful in solving mathematical problems and making predictions based on patterns observed between the functions.