Solving Ohm's Law Problem: Understanding Potential Difference in a Circuit"

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a physics problem involving resistors and potential difference. The individual is stuck on understanding the problem and asks for help. The solution involves finding the equivalent resistance and using individual resistor values to determine voltage drops. The conversation also touches on using LaTex and formatting equations.
maxpayne_lhp
Well, I'm quite idle in Lunar New year's holidays so I decide to do some exercises on Physics, I got stuck when solving the problem, then I tried with the suggestion on my textbook, but still, I don't understand the problem, please help me out! btw, sorry, something has gotten on LaTex or I'm too bad at it, so I just place the raw syntax, sorry!
Well, we have the figure:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/maxpayne_lhp2/5.jpg
And also, we have:
[tex]\emf=48V, r(Internam resistance)=0\omega[/tex]
[tex]R_1=2\onega[/tex]
[tex]R_2=8\onega\][/tex]
[tex]R_3=6\onega[/tex]
[tex]R_4=16\onega[/tex]
Well, they told me to find out the value of [tex]U_{MN}[/tex] (Well, in my native scientific system taugh in school,[tex] U_{MN} [/tex]stands for the potential diferece between M and N.
Well, obviously, I found that
[tex]U_{MN} = U_{MA}+U_{AN}[/tex]
[tex]=U_{AN}-U_{AM}[/tex]
Then, I tended to account for the Intensity of the current thru AB via the formula:
[tex]I=\frac{\emf}{R_{AB}}[/tex]
Then, I found out that I=8 (A)
But soon, I saw something wrong and looked up in the suggestion corner, they told me:
As r=0. we have
[tex]U_{MN}=\emf.[/tex] Let the current flows thru AMB and ANB from A to B, then:
[tex]U_{AN}=\frac{U_{AB}}{R_2+R_4} . R_2 = \frac{\emf}{R_2+R_4} . R_2= 16V[/tex]
Do the same thing with [tex]U_{AM}[/tex]
Though, I don't really understand what they mean, so please help me out! What did I do wrong?
Thanks for your time and help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no resistance between M and N so there is no potential difference. M and N are at the same potential.

To find the potential difference across R1 and R2, work out resistance for R1 and R2 in parallel: [itex]1/R_{1,2}=1/R_1 + 1/R_2[/itex] and for R3 and R4 in parallel: [itex]1/R_{3,4}=1/R_3 + 1/R_4[/itex]. Add [itex]R_{total}=R_{1,2}+R_{3,4}[/itex]. Then work out the total current using [itex]I = V/R_{total}[/itex]. That will allow you to work out the potential from A to M and from M to B.

AM

There is no resistance between M and N so there is no potential difference. M and N are at the same potential.
Ohh, sorry, I'm so clumsy, I didn't mean to draw a straight line connecting M and N, there was nothing connecting them at all. yes, they meant to cross the resistances.
And that's helped. Thanks!
BTW, I got difficulty when I need to go down for the next line, what's the syntax in LaTex for it? If you don't have time, please send me a link so that I can refer. Thanks alot!

Last edited:
Then the currents I_13 thru R_1 & R_3 and I_24 thru R_2 & R_4 are given by:

[tex] :(1): \ \ \ \ I_{13} = \frac {E} {R_1 + R_3} [/tex]

[tex] :(2): \ \ \ \ I_{24} = \frac {E} {R_2 + R_4} [/tex]

from which you can determine all required voltage drops. The overall equivalent resistance R will then be:

[tex] :(3): \ \ \ \ R = \frac {E} {I_{13} + I_{24}} = \frac {1} { \frac {1} {R_1 + R_3} + \frac {1} {R_2 + R_4} } [/tex]

~~

Last edited:
Oh thanks, I got it, it's [tex]U_{MN}=4V[/tex]
Thanks alot!

Excuse me, still, I don't know what
[tex] :(3): \ \ \ \ R = \frac {E} {I_{13} + I_{24}} = \frac {1} { \frac {1} {R_1 + R_3} + \frac {1} {R_2 + R_4} } [/tex]
for? Please explain for me.
Thanks!
btw, if we figure the another way, as thru R3 and R4, is it the same?
Thanks

The equivalent resistance R is the value of a SINGLE resistor that can REPLACE ALL the resistors R_1, R_2, R_3, and R_4 between your battery. In other words, this resistor R will draw the same current that ALL your other resistors draw TOGETHER when connected to a battery. It's useful to know R in terms of the OVERALL operation of ALL the resistors. However, you still need to use the individual resistor values to determine voltage drops between the individual resistors inside your circuit -- just like you were doing.

Well, okay, Thanks!
Thanks for all of your time and help!

What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage across it and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor.

What is the formula for Ohm's Law?

The formula for Ohm's Law is V = IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. This formula can also be rearranged to solve for I (I = V/R) or R (R = V/I).

How is Ohm's Law used in real life?

Ohm's Law is used in various applications in everyday life. It is used in the design and analysis of electrical circuits, as well as in the development of electronic devices such as computers, phones, and appliances. It is also used in the field of electrical engineering to calculate power and determine the appropriate size of electrical components.

What are the units for voltage, current, and resistance?

The unit for voltage is volts (V), current is amperes (A), and resistance is ohms (Ω). These units are named after the scientists who discovered each concept: Alessandro Volta, André-Marie Ampère, and Georg Ohm.

Are there any limitations to Ohm's Law?

Yes, there are limitations to Ohm's Law. It is only applicable to materials that have a constant resistance, such as conductors like copper and aluminum. It also assumes other factors, such as temperature, remain constant. Ohm's Law may not accurately predict the behavior of non-ohmic materials, such as semiconductors and diodes.