How Do You Solve These Balance Beam Problems?

In summary, the conversation is about someone needing help with two practice problems involving torque calculations on a simple balance beam. The other person suggests using the torque equation and finding the distance of the second force to balance the system. They also mention that the problems may require other concepts and suggest doing some additional reading if needed.
slynn2008
Need help on Practice Problems PLEASE!

Trying to work practice problems before I do the homework & I need help. If someone could show me step-by-step bow to do these two problems that would be GREAT.

A weight of 12 N is located at a distance of 14 cm from the fulcrum of a simple balance beam. At what distance from the fulcrum should a weight of 21 N be placed on the opposite side in order to balance the system?

A weight of 5 N is located 13 cm from the fulcrum on the beam of a simple balance. What weight should be placed at a point 7 cm from the fulcrum on the opposite side in order to balance the system?

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF.

I won't do them for you, but I will tell you the essence of each problem.

The first problem is torque. I assume you've got access to the equation for torque. You have a certain force, a certain distance away from a "pivotal point". And you want to figure out the distance of the other force, so that the toqrues are equal.

aaaand it looks llke the second problem is the same. You want me to tell you how to do the step by step answer so that you can memorize is and re apply it, but what happens when the problem integrates other concepts? Plus, these problems are very basic, and if you cannot do them already, or have no idea how to do them, do a bit of reading and it shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers

dacruick said:
Welcome to PF.

I won't do them for you, but I will tell you the essence of each problem.

The first problem is torque. I assume you've got access to the equation for torque. You have a certain force, a certain distance away from a "pivotal point". And you want to figure out the distance of the other force, so that the toqrues are equal.

aaaand it looks llke the second problem is the same. You want me to tell you how to do the step by step answer so that you can memorize is and re apply it, but what happens when the problem integrates other concepts? Plus, these problems are very basic, and if you cannot do them already, or have no idea how to do them, do a bit of reading and it shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers

thank you! i understand it now. my professor didn't explain it well.

right on.

1. How can I find practice problems to help me study?

There are many resources available online that provide practice problems for various subjects, such as textbooks, educational websites, and study guides. You can also ask your teacher or professor for additional practice problems.

2. How often should I do practice problems?

It is recommended to do practice problems regularly, at least a few times a week, to reinforce your understanding of the material. This will also help you identify any areas that you need to focus on more.

3. How do I know if I am doing the practice problems correctly?

One way to ensure that you are doing practice problems correctly is to check your answers against a solutions manual or ask for feedback from a teacher or tutor. It is also helpful to explain your reasoning and steps to someone else and have them verify your approach.

4. Can I use online resources to help me with practice problems?

Yes, there are many online resources available that provide practice problems and solutions for various subjects. However, it is important to make sure that the source is reputable and accurate before using it for studying.

5. What should I do if I am still struggling with practice problems?

If you are having difficulty with practice problems, it is important to seek help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate. They can provide additional explanations and guidance to help you better understand the material. It is also helpful to review your notes and class material to reinforce your understanding.