Need help on projectile motion equation

In summary: I'm not sure if that's good enough or not.The quarterback must throw the ball at a speed so that the receiver can catch it. The receiver must be at a distance of 30 meters from the quarterback. The ball must reach its maximum height at a speed of Vsin30.
P(physics)DD
Need help on projectile motion equation!

okay today i dazed off in class and didn't really listen to how my teach told me how to do projectile motion equations. here's the one I'm working on now.

A quaterback tries to throw a football to his receiver at an angle of 30 degrees with respect to the ground. The receiver is at a distance 30 meters from the quarterback.

(a) The receiver stands still. At what speed must the quarterback throw the ball so the receiver can catch it? (Assume that the paint of release and the point of reception are at the same height)

i've already split the x and y components apart and wrote down what i know. other than that I am seriously stuck.

Would draw a picture for you but can't really :) please somebody get back to me

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about the distance (horizontally) that the ball has traveled when it reaches its maximum height?

idk if i were to guess it'd be half the x component wouldn't it

P(physics)DD said:
idk if i were to guess it'd be half the x component wouldn't it
Vertically, the speed would be Vsin30, right?
since acceleration=g which is constant, the kinematics equations apply

so if [itex]v=u+2at[/itex] where v=final vertical speed,u=initial vertical speed

When the ball reaches the maximum height, what would be its final velocity?(Hint:As the ball goes up, the final velocity decreases)

why would the vertical be vsin30?

The speed at 30 degrees is V. When you spit that into the x and y components, the initial vertical velocity is Vsin30

oh okay that makes sense now.
working it out now

rock.freak667 said:
Vertically, the speed would be Vsin30, right?
since acceleration=g which is constant, the kinematics equations apply

so if [itex]v=u+2at[/itex] where v=final vertical speed,u=initial vertical speed

When the ball reaches the maximum height, what would be its final velocity?(Hint:As the ball goes up, the final velocity decreases)

how does this help me find the initial velocity of the ball

The Vsin30 is the initial velocity.At the maximum height what do you think the final velocity is?

Last edited:
idk...you got to kinda spoon feed me here. lol

Well as the ball rises..the vertical velocity decreases...until it reaches the max height. After reaching the maximum height, the vertical velocity begins to increase...

the only for that to happen is if the velocity at the max height is Zero.

and the time taken to reach the maximum height is the same as the time taken to go from the max height to the ground.

(Note: this is just one method, another kinematic equation can be used to find the time taken to reach the receiver as well)

have u got the answer because I've gotten 26.1 m/s

1. What is the equation for projectile motion?

The equation for projectile motion is y = y0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where y is the vertical position, y0 is the initial vertical position, v0 is the initial vertical velocity, t is time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do I find the horizontal distance traveled in projectile motion?

The horizontal distance traveled in projectile motion can be found using the equation x = x0 + vx0t, where x is the horizontal position, x0 is the initial horizontal position, vx0 is the initial horizontal velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the initial velocity in projectile motion?

The initial velocity in projectile motion refers to the velocity of the object at the moment it is released or thrown. It can be broken down into its vertical and horizontal components, vy0 and vx0, respectively.

4. How does gravity affect projectile motion?

Gravity is the force that acts on a projectile and causes it to accelerate downwards. This acceleration is constant and is denoted by g in the projectile motion equation. It affects both the vertical and horizontal components of the object's motion.

5. Can the projectile motion equation be used for objects in air resistance?

The projectile motion equation assumes that there is no air resistance acting on the object. In reality, air resistance can affect the motion of the object and therefore, the equation may not accurately predict its path. However, it can still be used as an approximation in most cases.