Need help on simplification approach

• Thread starter scoobiedoober
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Approach
However, another user suggested getting the terms under the radical to have the same denominator, and Terry followed the advice to get to the solution of 1/(t^2+1). They were skeptical at first, but after graphing both functions, they realized they were equivalent. The conversation ended with appreciation for the helpful tip and Terry thanking the user for showing the solution.
scoobiedoober

Homework Statement

Simplify the following:

[tex]\frac{\frac{1}{\sqrt{t^2+1}}-t^2(t^2+1)^{-3/2}}{\sqrt{\frac{1}{t^2+1}-\frac{2t^2}{(t^2+1)^2}+\frac{t^4+t^2}{(t^2+1)^3}}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The answer in the book was:

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{t^2+1}}[/tex]

I didn't believe but then I graphed both functions and sure enough they are equivalent.

The Attempt at a Solution

All I really knew to try was to factor out a 1/(t^2+1) inside the square root, but that really didn't help me see a different approach.

I'm hoping someone will have a neat trick for simplifying this mofo

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try getting what's under the radical to have the same denominator, and then it would be easier to see what can be factored out and pulled from the radical?

Alrighty, I'll give it a shot:

[tex]\frac{(t^2+1)^2}{(t^2+1)^3}-\frac{2t^2(t^2+1)}{(t^2+1)^3}+\frac{t^4+t^2}{(t^2+1)^3}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{t^4+2t^2+1-2t^4-2t^2+t^4+t^2}{(t^2+1)^3}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{t^2+1}{(t^2+1)^3}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{(t^2+1)^2}[/tex]

taking the square root, the entire equation is now:

[tex]\frac{\frac{1}{\sqrt{t^2+1}}-t^2(t^2+1)^{-3/2}}{\frac{1}{t^2+1}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{t^2+1}{\sqrt{t^2+1}}-\frac{t^2}{\sqrt{t^2+1}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{t^2+1}}[/tex]

happy happy joy joy

Good job. Thanks for showing the solution.
A future high school math teacher
Terry

What is simplification approach?

Simplification approach is a problem-solving method where complex problems are broken down into smaller, more manageable parts. This approach helps to solve problems by focusing on one aspect at a time, making the overall problem less overwhelming.

Why is simplification approach important?

Simplification approach is important because it helps to make complex problems more understandable and solvable. By breaking down a problem into smaller parts, it becomes easier to identify the root cause and come up with effective solutions.

What are the steps involved in simplification approach?

The steps involved in simplification approach include identifying the problem, breaking it down into smaller parts, analyzing each part individually, finding common patterns or connections, and then synthesizing the individual solutions into a comprehensive solution for the entire problem.

What are the benefits of using simplification approach?

Simplification approach has several benefits, including making complex problems more manageable, improving problem-solving skills, increasing efficiency, and promoting creativity and critical thinking.

How can I improve my simplification approach?

To improve your simplification approach, you can practice breaking down complex problems into smaller parts, actively look for patterns and connections, and continuously evaluate and refine your solutions. You can also seek feedback from others and learn from their approach to problem-solving.