1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help on state minimisation

1. Apr 15, 2013 #1
    The problem is attached as a picture.

Should I just do a K-map for the output?

All I did was a K-map for the output but I dont think it works

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I would draw the state diagram first to see if the outputs map directly to states (or if more logic is needed), then use a K-Map to help with minimization.

How many states are in the table? How many bits will it take to encode those states? Are there any unused states left over? If so, you will need to handle that....

4. Apr 15, 2013 #3
    do you consider the present states when doing the state diagram?

5. Apr 15, 2013 #4

berkeman

Yes, you transition between the present state and the next state according to the table, based on the input value.

6. Apr 15, 2013 #5
    this is what i have done so far

Attached Files:

7. Apr 15, 2013 #6
    is there another way of minimising the number of states?

8. Apr 15, 2013 #7

berkeman

The number of states is given in the problem statement. Well, you would also normally add the extra states into the diagram for the unused states (the problem calls for 6 states, which leaves 2 unused states). You cannot allow unused states in a real state machine, because that could cause the machine to stall forever if it ever gets into one of those states. You generally have the unused states have transitions back into the other states (preferably the Reset state).

But in this simpler problem, they don't seem concerned about the unused states. Do you have an initial implementation of the state diagram?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted