Need help on this gas flowing into a vessel problem

• Thread starter gharrington44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Vessel
In summary, the problem involves an evacuated rigid vessel being filled adiabatically with a gas from a constant pressure source. The P-U-V relation for the gas is given by U = 831 + 2PV, and the task is to find the ratio of initial and final volumes of the gas. This can be solved using the non-steady flow energy equation, ideal gas law, and the fact that the internal energy of the system remains constant. The final ratio is found to be 1/P1.
gharrington44
1. Homework Statement

An evacuated rigid vessel is filled adiabatically through a valve from a large constant pressure source of a certain gas, until the pressures inside and outside are equal. If the P-U-V relation for the gas is given by the equation:
U = 831 + 2PV where U is joules, P is pascals, and V is m^3
Find the ratio of the initial and final volumes of the gas which enters.
(Hint: This is an application of the non-steady flow energy equation)

2. Homework Equations
So we need to use the Non-steady flow energy equation. Does that mean I use the equation
dE/dt = Q - W + (dm/dt)*(h2-h1) + .5*(dm/dt)*(V1^2 - V2^2)
In this case, kinetic and potential energy contributions would be negligible and I'm guessing the equation reduces to:
ΔU = Q - W + (dm/dt)*(h2 - h1)

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Also since the process is adiabatic, then Q = 0 and W = 0 for the process so the above equation simplifies to:
dU/dt = (dm/dt)*(h2-h1)
I also think that the internal energy of the system is 831 since the initial pressure and volume are both 0. In other words, U(0,0) = 831, but I don't know how to figure out the rest of the problem. Please let me know if I'm doing this right or not.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach to using the non-steady flow energy equation is correct. Since the process is adiabatic, there is no heat transfer (Q = 0) and no work done (W = 0). Therefore, the change in internal energy (ΔU) is equal to the change in enthalpy (Δh), which is given by (h2 - h1) in the equation.

To find the ratio of initial and final volumes, we can use the ideal gas law, which states that PV = nRT, where n is the number of moles of gas and R is the gas constant. We can rearrange this equation to get V = nRT/P. Since the process is adiabatic, the number of moles of gas remains constant (dm/dt = 0), so the ratio of initial and final volumes is simply the ratio of initial and final pressures (P1/P2).

Using the P-U-V relation given in the problem, we can find the initial and final pressures by substituting the initial and final volumes into the equation. This gives us:

U1 = 831 + 2P1V1
U2 = 831 + 2P2V2

Since the internal energy of the system remains constant throughout the process (ΔU = 0), we can set U1 equal to U2 and solve for the ratio of initial and final pressures:

831 + 2P1V1 = 831 + 2P2V2
P1V1 = P2V2
P1/P2 = V2/V1

Therefore, the ratio of initial and final volumes is 1/P1. I hope this helps in solving the problem. Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification. Happy problem-solving!

1. What is the purpose of this gas flowing into a vessel problem?

The purpose of this problem is to study the behavior of gas flow into a vessel and how it affects the pressure, volume, and temperature of the gas inside the vessel.

2. What are the variables that affect the gas flow into a vessel?

The variables that affect gas flow into a vessel include the pressure difference between the gas source and the vessel, the size and shape of the vessel, the temperature of the gas, and the properties of the gas itself (such as viscosity and compressibility).

3. How do you calculate the rate of gas flow into a vessel?

The rate of gas flow into a vessel can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the volume of gas is directly proportional to the product of its pressure and temperature, and inversely proportional to the number of moles of gas present.

4. What are some real-life applications of studying gas flow into a vessel?

Understanding gas flow into a vessel is important in various industries, such as chemical engineering, oil and gas, and HVAC systems. It is also crucial in designing and operating gas storage tanks, pipelines, and other gas handling equipment.

5. How can this knowledge be used to improve gas flow into a vessel?

By studying gas flow into a vessel, we can identify potential problems and optimize the design and operation of gas handling systems to improve efficiency and safety. This can also help in predicting and preventing issues such as gas leaks or explosions.