Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help on this problem

1. Oct 22, 2003 #1
    A plane is traveling at 100m/s when it drops a box at an elevation of 2000 meters. How much time is required for the box to reach the earth?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2003 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You know the equation for freefall? Apply it to find the time and multiply the time by the speed of the plane.

4. Oct 23, 2003 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What assumptions are you making? Are you ignoring air resistance? (If not, then you will have to state what the air resistance is.)

Assuming no air resistance, 2000 m is low enough that we can ignore the change in gravitational force due to change in distance so: the acceleration is 9.8 m/s2. The downward speed after time t is 9.8 t m/s and the distance fallen is 4.9 t2. The box will hit the earth when 4.9 t2= 2000.

The information about the horizontal speed of the airplane (and therefore the horizontal speed of the box) is irrelevant. The time to hit depends only on vertical acceleration and speed.

5. Oct 27, 2003 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

As someone informed me in a pm, I misread the problem. Sorry. Halls had it right. I was thinking of how far the box would move forward.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?