How long before the box hits the ground?

• Thread starter unidentified4789
  • Start date
In summary, assuming no air resistance and a constant acceleration of 9.8 m/s2, the box dropped from a plane traveling at 100m/s and at an elevation of 2000 meters will take approximately 20.41 seconds to reach the Earth. The horizontal speed of the airplane and the box are not relevant to determining the time it takes for the box to reach the Earth.
unidentified4789
A plane is traveling at 100m/s when it drops a box at an elevation of 2000 meters. How much time is required for the box to reach the earth?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the equation for freefall? Apply it to find the time and multiply the time by the speed of the plane.

What assumptions are you making? Are you ignoring air resistance? (If not, then you will have to state what the air resistance is.)

Assuming no air resistance, 2000 m is low enough that we can ignore the change in gravitational force due to change in distance so: the acceleration is 9.8 m/s2. The downward speed after time t is 9.8 t m/s and the distance fallen is 4.9 t2. The box will hit the Earth when 4.9 t2= 2000.

The information about the horizontal speed of the airplane (and therefore the horizontal speed of the box) is irrelevant. The time to hit depends only on vertical acceleration and speed.

As someone informed me in a pm, I misread the problem. Sorry. Halls had it right. I was thinking of how far the box would move forward.

1. What does "need help on this problem" mean?

"Need help on this problem" is a common phrase used to indicate that someone is seeking assistance or guidance in solving a problem or completing a task.

2. How do I ask for help on a problem?

To ask for help on a problem, be specific and provide as much information as possible. Clearly state the problem and any steps you have already taken to try and solve it. This will help others understand the issue and provide more effective assistance.

3. Where can I find help for a specific problem?

There are many resources available for seeking help with a specific problem. You can try asking a teacher or peer, searching online forums or communities, or consulting a textbook or reference material related to the problem topic.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Improving problem-solving skills takes practice and persistence. Some strategies to improve include breaking down a problem into smaller parts, seeking different perspectives, and being open to trying new approaches. Asking for help and seeking feedback can also aid in improving problem-solving abilities.

5. Is it okay to ask for help on a problem?

Yes, it is completely acceptable to ask for help on a problem. In fact, seeking help can often lead to a better understanding of the problem and how to solve it. It is important to remember that everyone needs assistance at some point, and asking for help is a sign of strength and determination to find a solution.